Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import partial backup database

Copper Contributor

Import partial backup database

We have a user that accidentally deleted all their contacts with last name starting A-C. We have him working on those contacts on a backup database copy.

We would like to import JUST the records he had deleted from the original database along with histories, documents, opportunities.

Are all the steps in this KB http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17539/kw/import%20duplicates necessary in this case? We don't need to import groups or users or anything else, and the backup is the same format as the original.

Would it be easier to EXPORT a lookup?

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Import partial backup database

It would be easier to export the lookup.  Make sure you have a backup of the database first!

Brenda Dixon
ACT! Certified Consultant
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)
Copper Contributor

So I've culled the old database leaving only the contacts and opportunities we need to import.

Now, when I run the import wizard, I get an "Unhandled Exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. Object reference is not set to an instance of an object" error message.

I copied the details but can't find a way to attach a file to this post.

Very frustrating as I spent quite a bit of time to get from 50k+ contacts to 1300 and from 80k+ opportunities down to about 2k.

As soon as either option is selected (continue or quit) the whole application hangs and must be closed via task manager.

Bronze Elite Contributor

You could rebuild this database using ACT Diag.

or

Do you have a copy of the database before you removed the other contacts?

If so simply create a lookup or group of the contacts you want to send to the master / new database. Now just select contacts and current lookup in the export wizard. Also set the wizard to merge if same record found and create new if not. Always backup the master database before importing.