Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Import failing

Tuned Listener
Posts: 77
Country: United States

Import failing

I use Premium 2012.

 

I am very experienced at importing and have done it many times.

 

I have an excel spreadsheet which is saved in .csv format - with 100 records - lastname, email, companyname and an update field.

 

I tried matching on several combination lastname & email, email & companyname -- so that the update field gets written with new information - the update field is blank in the database. It didnt work.

 

I turned off duplicate checking - it still didnt work.

 

Of the 100 records, it is only importing 9 records where the update field gets updated. All other record do not get updated.

 

This is the 1st and only time this is happening - all previous version of Act did not have a problem.

 

Any recommendations are appreciated.

Tuned Listener
Posts: 77
Country: United States

Re: Import failing

I tried the import into the Demo database and the import works as it should. I suspect there might be something wrong with my database.

 

What is the correct process to run diagnostics and potentially fix any issues with the DB?

 

Any suggestions welcomed.

 

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 6,537
Country: USA

Re: Import failing

Hello vaxa,
The best way to run maintenance is to log into the database on the host machine as an Admin user, then go to Tools > Database Maintenance > Check and Repair. I would also make sure you have the latest version/build of ACT! 2012 (14.1.108.0) installed on all machines.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener
Posts: 77
Country: United States

Re: Import failing

I have the latest build - juct checked it. Will run the check.

 

Can you please shed any light as to why it works on the demo db and not on mine?

 

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 6,537
Country: USA

Re: Import failing

[ Edited ]

This may be due to an issue with your database, or you may be using incorrect duplicate checking settings.

 

Try exporting a few records to Excel, make a change in some of the columns in the Excel sheet, then importing that sheet back in to your database using the Merge option. Then check if the records were updated in your database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener
Posts: 77
Country: United States

Re: Import failing

In my excel, I have >>> email, lastname -- so I have duplicate checking on these two - I have the "merge" option checked during the import if there is a match -- to update field "user 1". The email is a unique identifier with some lastnames being the same.

 

I am assuming the duplicate check uses, if email AND lastname matches, then update user1. Is this right?

Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 6,537
Country: USA

Re: Import failing

[ Edited ]

Your settings sounds correct. Just note that the "Merge" option will only work if there is currently no data in the User1 field - merge does not replace data, only populates empty fields. If you are looking to actually change the data in User1, you will need to use the "Replace with source contact" merge option.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener
Posts: 77
Country: United States

Re: Import failing

Thanks that's helpful - I was mindful of the "merge" not replacing data in fields.

 

One last thing.

 

I have 150 records in the excel file - during the import, 10 are being updated in the db - I did a random check on the remaining 140 in the db and they have the correct data in the email and lastname fields - user1 is empy but they are not being updated.

 

Any last hint will be helpful.

 

Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor
Posts: 6,537
Country: USA

Re: Import failing

[ Edited ]

I can't say for sure, unless there is something that is causing the duplicate checking to not match them. You can try adding the same value (like the word "update') to an unused field (like one of the other User fields), have that field as the only one being checked in your duplicate checking settings, adding that field as a column in your spreadsheet, then populate the field with that update value you used in the records. This should assure that they get matched and then updated. You may also want to check to box for "Confirm each match" in the contact merge options during the import (you would have to manually select the merge action for each match if you do this).

 

Note: You can populate the same field with the same value for multiple records by doing a lookup of those records, then going to Edit > Replace Field. This will only affect the active lookup.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener
Posts: 77
Country: United States

Re: Import failing

That was a very good suggestion - I did it - and got 50% or so to import - the other 50% didn't. I looked at the other emails - and they match but don't know why it is not taking those.