Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import does not overwrite fields when imported fields are blank.

Import does not overwrite fields when imported fields are blank.

We import records everyday from our main database into ACT.  We create a dBase table which we import into ACT.  When a date or string field in our main database changes to blank then ACT does not overwrite that field with the blank data during the import.  This causes our ACT data to be different from our main database.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this?

I can put something like "Empty" in the string fields but there is no way to put something like that in the date fields.

Thanks

Re: Import does not overwrite fields when imported fields are blank.

Actually it's just the dates not the string fields that don't get overwritten with blank fields.

Platinum Elite Contributor

I'm not sure how you're doing this?

ACT!'s import will only replace the entire record or skip it if you want when the import finds a match, not update individual fields

To do a field-level merge/update you need an product like itImport - which also has an option of being able to run as a service on a schedule so you'd only need to put the new import file in a specified location

I'm just using the import routine that came with ACT.  I'm using ACT 10.  I'm importing from a dBase compatible table.  If a date gets changed to blank in our main database then the same date in ACT is not updated.  It continues to hold the previous value.  All other fields are updated.

Thanks,
Carl

So you want to replace the entire record (all fields) with the new data?

You're not trying to change system fields (Edit Date, Create Date, etc)?

Yes I'm replacing the entire record so it will look exactly like our other database.  We need to keep the two databases in synch.

These are all user defined fields that I update.

Carl