Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import data into Company instead of Contacts when converting a database from an older version

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Import data into Company instead of Contacts when converting a database from an older version

Hello,

Is it possible to import data into Company instead of Contacts when converting a database from an older version?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author gregcsharp
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Import data into Company instead of Contacts when converting a database from an older version

Hello Roy,

Here is the solutionI am going to use:

Step 1: convert the database from ACT3 to ACT17. This way all the records in ACT3 saved as actual companies will be transfered on ACT17 as contacts.

Step 2: create a new database from scratch. Customize companies and contacts with our fields.

Step 3: import contacts and companies from CSV files made from the converted DB through SQL Managment Studio

Step 4: import all the history in the company records from the converted DB to the newly created DB thanks to bulk statements in SQL Management Studio.

I already managed to follow these steps on a test DB. Note that all of this is possible thanks a unique Id we give to our customers. This way I can link history for each company in the newly created DB.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Import data into Company instead of Contacts when converting a database from an older version

No idea on this one?

Platinum Elite Contributor

There isn't any mapping available when doing a conversion. You woul have couple of options for after the conversion. You could like several fields from the contact records to the conpamy records and have the data show in both places. Another option would be to export selected contact data to a Delimited field and use a utility like OakMerge to import the data into the company table.

I'm not sure why you want to move the contact data to the company table but it sounds like you are trying to change ACT! from a contact orientation to a company oreintation. If so that won't work. ACT! can have a conpany relationship but the orintation will remain contact based.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your answer. The reason why I want to do that is because we have been using the version of ACT3 as a company relationship management instead of contacts. Now, when upgrading Act, we would like to use it the correct way. Each record we have in ACT3 is an actual company. In that record we have saved multiple contacts.
As a result, the history is linked to a company, not a contact...

I would like to import the history in company. Can Oakmerge do that via the csv files?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Wow, that's going to be fun untangling all that. Send me an email with your phone number and I'll give you a call to discuss your options.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by topic author gregcsharp
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Hello Roy,

Here is the solutionI am going to use:

Step 1: convert the database from ACT3 to ACT17. This way all the records in ACT3 saved as actual companies will be transfered on ACT17 as contacts.

Step 2: create a new database from scratch. Customize companies and contacts with our fields.

Step 3: import contacts and companies from CSV files made from the converted DB through SQL Managment Studio

Step 4: import all the history in the company records from the converted DB to the newly created DB thanks to bulk statements in SQL Management Studio.

I already managed to follow these steps on a test DB. Note that all of this is possible thanks a unique Id we give to our customers. This way I can link history for each company in the newly created DB.