Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import Wizard only imports one folder from outlook contacts

Import Wizard only imports one folder from outlook contacts

I have Outlook 2007 and Act Premium 2009.  When I run the wizard it only imports the folder for general contacts and ignores the other 15 folders of contacts.  And I do not want all of them in Act by the way. How do I select the folders I want or worst case all of them and i will delete the ones i do not want?  I tried moving folders to the top of the list in Outlook but that did not help.
Bronze Contributor

Re: Import Wizard only imports one folder from outlook contacts

I prefer that it only import one folder from outlook - most of my customers mix their business and personal contacts into the folder and their companies don't want their personal contacts in ACT! - I setup a new child Contact folder called "Personal" off the main Contact folder and ask them to move anyone that shouldn't be in ACT! into the new "Personal" folder.  After I perform the import into ACT! from just the main folder, I move all the personal contacts back into the main folder and delete the now-empty Personal Contact Folder.  You could do a variation of this and move all of the contacts out of the main folder into a temporary folder, COPY those contacts from among your many contact folders into the newly-empty main folder, do your import, and then reverse the process.

Signature

Actally the main folder is not one I want.  Is there anyway to designate a different folder as the "main folder" and impoit that one (and actually one other).  then re-designate back to what they were initially.
Bronze Contributor

If there is, I'm not aware of it.  I haven't bothered, because with Outlook it's so easy to drag contacts back and forth among folders that I can empty a folder in a minute to a temporary folder, copy or move contacts among any folder.

Some of the addons like CompanionLink do allow you to select the folder(s).

Signature
Astute Commentator

Somewhat unbelievably, ACT Premium 12 does NOT recognize ANY contact folder(address book)  in Outlook 2007 other than the one named "Contacts". There is NO way to modify or correct this oversight.

There is a free ACT add-on named Quicksoft ACT!Connect that will let you change the default contacts location from "Contacts" to exactly ONE other contact folder of your choosing, but it will not allow you to select multiple folders.

There is also a pricey add-on called 123 Synchronizer 10 that does two-way syncing to exactly ONE other contact folder of your choosing. It has a fifteen day free trial. You can choose a folder and import, choose another folder and import, etc, but be aware that if you enable two way syncing then 123 synchronizer will pump ALL the contacts you loaded from Outlook back to Outlook into the last folder you specified , NOT the original folder the contact came from. You will have duplicate contacts galore in Outlook!

I've also heard of another product called "Doublelook" which I will be testing soon (waiting for an email for trial version)...I don't have too high an expectation.

This topic has come up on ACT forums before and most people here will blithely advise you to restructure your contact folders in Outlook. I'm aware that this site by definition is "ACT-centric", but asking someone to modify another program's settings (AND the way you choose to do business) in order to accomodate ACT seems a bit disingenuous.

I'm looking for a solution that treats ACT! and Outlook as equal partners, rather than the usual assumption that ACT! will be the "senior partner" in a relationship.

Great post- I agree with your statement:"but asking someone to modify another program's settings (AND the way you choose to do business) in order to accomodate ACT seems a bit disingenuous"

Let us know what you find.