Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import Problem

Copper Elite Contributor

Import Problem

I know how to import an Excel file into ACT.

Last month I attempted to import an Excel file and it wouldn't work.  I tried as a csv, no success.  Ultimately I did a save copy as and was able to import it into the newly saved database.  Today, I tried another small it import and it flat out doesn't work.

To this point I've done the following:

reindexed that database

tried to imort it as a csv and .xls xlsx file

i've taken the first row out of excel

I've turned off check for duplicates

I've run a custom and simple import

I've restored ACTs default settings for impoting

The dialog box preparing import comes up, the status bar never appears and then it closes without success.

Any Ideas?

Tony Holowitz
Arlington (Boston), Massachusetts
781-728-9777

www.tonytheteacher.com
www.365ActTips.com
www.TeachAnOldDogNewTricks.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Import Problem

Tony,
Are you able to export some of your contacts to Excel, then reimport them back in? Did this spreadsheet come from an outside source? When you first opened the file, did it open in protected view? There may be something in the properties of the file preventing the import.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Elite Contributor

I did a save copy as and created a blank database.  I was able to import the original excel file into the new database.  I still can't import it into the main database.

Tony Holowitz
781-728-9777

www.tonytheteacher.com
www.365ActTips.com
Copper Elite Contributor

New observation: I also tried to do an ACT to ACT import without success as well.  The import process starts, seems to hang and then closes. 

Based on some of the posts I've seen here this issue seems to come out of nowhere; one day import works fine and the next day it doesn't.  It seems to be a known issue.

I'd appreciate any ideas on a fix.  Feel free to call me to discuss: 781-728-9777

Tony Holowitz
781-728-9777

www.tonytheteacher.com
www.365ActTips.com
Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Greig, I was a beta-tester. Are there any resources to help me solve this issue?
Tony Holowitz
781-728-9777

www.tonytheteacher.com
www.365ActTips.com