Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import Data

Copper Super Contributor

Import Data

Ok i know about ImportIT... but frankly i got an issue paying double for an addon than the original program

Does any one know other options? Apparently EMS SQL does not work with the Act database  for some reason... this appears strange given they are both SQL

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Import Data

I agree. ImportIT is a good product but overpriced.

As far as I know it is only good for the version of ACT! that you purchase it for and you have to pay for an upgrade if you subsequently upgraded ACT!.

What information do you want to import and can you export from your source to csv (Excel)?

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Super Contributor

Ok this is  basic break down of my structure in Act

Client Record ------------------------->May have company associated

|

+--------------------------------> May have group associated (i only do groups if i can automate it - as i dont wnat to forget to add a client to the right group)

+--------------------------------> May have family or friends associated (new feature)

|

|

+---------------------------------------------> Hard copy of scanned files stored with Addon "Organizer" which creates a seperate folder tree per client record

|

|

+--------------------------------> All records at the moment have between 1 and 15 opportunities, which represent the products i hold/manage/influence

New client records are basic to set up and either happen via Outlook email link, or just manually updated,.... not that big of an issue as the number of new records is low, the only time it would be large is if i buy a book of clients which would come in CSV format anyway and can be uploaded

However the number of new opportunities is high!!! being from New Zealand you may underrstand i deal in client's superannuation so on average my clients intially have anywhere upto 48 super funds (thats the largest i had for a single client) all ov which have to entered into Act and managed from there.... i did have a desire to have the opportunities broken into managed funds and then jsut update the price each day... but that would be a nightmare to do manually

and the need to update the data for these opportunities is high, the balances change daily .... i dont wnat it to be that acurate, i would however like to do a monthly down load from the relevant product sites... in CSV format and upload the data into Act then the reports are upto date.... at the moment its a manual job which is to say it does not get done that often.

At the moment my act database is about

400 client records

5000 opportunities

53000 individual managed fund entries .... if i went this far (not with out some form of updating ability)

And if this event happens the above will effectively double in about 6 months time 

Bronze Elite Contributor

Your task is somewhat different to what I imagined which was just a one time import of data

It comes down to the value you place on being able to have the regular update from the source and the automation of it. We do this type of customisation for clients but it can be complex if you are dealing with different sources or different presentation of data from the principal companies whose products you deal with.

In our market in NZ there is a company that has developed a specific database solution for the insurance industry that updates a brokers database from the imports of client data and fits a specific format. The brokers pay a subscription to rent that facility and of course it doesn't have the extent of functionality of search, lookup and reporting that ACT! has. In Australia you may have similar, I don't know. 

Bottom line is, be prepared to pay for the solution if you need it, it isn't going to be just a few  dollars. However if it saves you a lot of time and increases your efficiency and productivity it is money well spent.   

Graeme Leo

Copper Super Contributor

i dont need it updated every day... once a month would be a great improvement.... and it does not have to be fully automated... anything above entering the data one at a time would be great.... is there any other software or method to access the database for updating???

Bronze Elite Contributor

Then you should purchase an importing software utility of which ITimport is one but not the only one. You aren't going to get it done more cost effectively.

While you are resistant to paying, I don't see any other way and I would guess that whatever the CM/CRM software you choose you will have the same issue. Importing and merging data is a very complex process and software tools written to do that are expensive to build. My concern with ITimport is that as soon as you upgrade to a later version of ACT! they will want to charge you for an upgrade but fundamentally there is no change in the process.

Graeme Leo

Copper Super Contributor

thats fine as long as its reasonable and i dont think the offer from ImportIT is reasonable on several levels... i have searched the net and cant find any others do you know of other software names that i can reseach that would do the job???

Bronze Elite Contributor

I was an early supporter of ITImport and I found the product very good. However the deal changed and I now don't see it as good value for money.

There is OakMerge which I haven't tried myself but they were the first producers of a comprehensive, popular and reliable import tool for ACT! 6.0 and prior.

Go to   www.oakpro.com/prod03_OAKMerge.htm    I notice that there tool is not cheap either but at least it is good for two versions of ACT!

As explained these tools are not cheap to develop but I believe that asking for upgrade for each version of ACT! when fundementally nothing changes with the product, is not a good way to do business. If the features are improved, offering extra (useful) functionality then yes that is reasonable and software producers should charge for it. But others are just plain too expensive. 

Graeme Leo

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are several options for this type of importing: itImport, OakMerge, MergeAdmin, Inaport

The pricing and functions can vary. Some (like itImport and OakMerge) have different editions at different prices depending on the functions you want.

Personally, I usually recommend itImport only because I use it personally and know it well and I find it difficult to recomend a product I haven't used myself.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 06-22-2009 09:10 AM