Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import Contacts-2nd Update

Copper Contributor

Import Contacts-2nd Update

All,   I have several hundred Contacts that are already in ACT Prem V18 from 2 yrs ago.   I have added many new fields over the years for example company revenues, number of Employees, etc.

Today trying to just update the Revenues and employee counts for 300 Contacts and hit a wall.  I am following the instructions exactly.     And today on the telephone with tech support for 2 hrs and they have no clue how to do it either.    No matter which Duplicate fields i use and I use the "Replace with Source Record", it will not Update any of the records or any of the fields.    Anyone else had this issue come up?   Jim       

Administrator

Re: Import Contacts-2nd Update

Hi Jim.

Are the old contacts in a separate database to your current database?

How are you trying to copy the field values?

What instructions are you following for this?

The following Knowledgebase article has steps and best practices and for database to database imports: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17539

During the field mapping stage, you'll only need the custom fields and the field(s) you're using to match on.

Copper Contributor

Gary,  

I imported the original Contacts from Salesgenie in 2014, Excel file.   Now I have exported those same Contacts from Salesgenie and want to re-import into AC T 18 prem, just to update certain malformation:   Revenues, # of employees, etc.    

Trying to import into ACT! thru the Import feature.  I have enabled Duplicate Check (Company, First name, & Last Name) feature so that on the import ACT will recognize those Contacts and just updated the info for those.   Where there is a new Contact, then it will import that Contact as a new Contact which is fine. 

I have now been on the phone for about 3 hrs yesterday and today with 3 different Swiftpage Techs, and none have any idea how to fix this.   Now they want me to fill out the ACT form and submit my database to ACT for investigation, and they will apparently charge me for this.   I told the Tech fella that ACT! help says that I should be able to do this, now they want to charge me for this.   Not right.

Looks Like I will have to manually update all 350 Contacts with this information, that will take me probably 15-20 hrs.   Ouch.    Tech support has been no help with this.    And with their foreign accent very hard to understand.    This is disappointing.

Administrator

Hi Jim,

I'd like to look into your discussions with support to understand more about the issue. Please could you send me private message with your account or ticket number, and your contact details.

Administrator

Hi Jim,

Please check your inbox for my replies.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Did you get this resolved?

It needs to be established if it is finding the duplicate match and just not updating fields or not recognising the same record from data import and already in ACT. After the import do you get a import log with any errors?

Copper Contributor

Gary,   Have not worked on this yet.  I have no staff so it will take me a few days.   thanks for checking.   I'll let you know what happens.  Jim

Copper Contributor

Gary:  the prior way of importing was "First Name" and "Last Name" and to Not import the "Contact: field.   I have now combined these names into one column called "Contact".   Do I now import using "First Name", "Last Name" and "Contact" or do I just use the "Contact" field when importing?

Bronze Elite Contributor

I think Gary has finished for the day here in UK. You would use contact now you have combined the first and surname so they are not needed. Make sure your de-duplication settings are also set to the contact field plus what ever other field you intend to use to get a match that is part of the import like postcode etc.

Copper Contributor

In Previous versions of ACT if you imported the "Contact" then the search features by Surname did not function within ACT.   So if I eliminate the "First Name" and "Last Name Field" in Excel and only import by "Contact" will the New ACT version 18 Premium that I am now using, will the search features by Surname work?   I still can not get an answer to this.