Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Import- Change Contact ID/Status

Import- Change Contact ID/Status

Hello,

ACT 2011 Premium

My organization has not been utilizing the Contact/ID status so we're in the process of cleaning this up.

I've exported about 2,000 Contact records to excel, assign the appropriate ID/Status in Excel then import them back in as a .csv file.

I've tested this with 1 record and haven't had much luck. Most of these contacts do have an ID/Status on their record, however I want to change it. .

I tried using company name and first and last name however,  the mapping  changes the order so that the ID/Status is not the last field. The mapping does not reflect the order of the .csv file and it won't import. I saw an existing issue with this so I'm only using the Contact Name and ID/Status fields in my .csv file.

I'm choosing Custom Import

When choosing the merge options, I only have Merge, Replace with source data and Do Not Change, I choose Add if source records do not match. Since there is data already existing in the field, I choose Replace with Source Data

Confirm each match.

When it tells me that it found the record, I choose Merge. However I do not see the ID/Status listed, it's only contact information, name address, e-mail etc.

Ultimately, It does not change the ID/Status field.

Can someone please tell me how to change the ID/Status? It is a field that is existing in the drop down table

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Import- Change Contact ID/Status

NEVER FORGET TO MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE...  Very important is that before performing any procedure with information database make a backup including attachments - If you after perform the procedure...  something goes wrong...  then you can restore your data with the Backup.

Goto to File Menu - Back Up - Database...

I recommend you do the tests by restoring the backup in Another Folder with Another Database Name to be a test environment.....   When the test run can do the procedure that worked on the production database ...

It would be easier if you make an excel template with the same name of the fields that are in ACT! - This template can make selecting the correct fields and exporting a list from the Contact List View. This Excel template is just to place the information you want to import, but first you should check How is configured the Duplicate Checking option in the Preferences - and you may need to delete the current contents of Field ID / Status (This could enable the option Replace Field in Edit Menu) The Excel template makes it easier to Custom Import option because the names of the fields are Same (Easier Maping)... NEVER FORGET TO MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH ANY DATA....   Every day I learn something new....

Platinum Elite Contributor

Unfortunately, the ACT! contact merge will only add info into blank fields. It ignore fields that have data.

Either you can blank the data in the field for the records first, or use one of the third-party importers like itimport:
http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/57/1

Thank you so much for the information. I'm actually not choosing Merge.

I'm choosing Replace with Source Contact. Then it finds the record. I get 2 options:

Create New Contact or

Merge Action: Replace with Source Contact. I choose this option.

On this screen is shows contact address information (which I do not have in the import file) but no ID/Status.

Nothing was changed on the record after import completed.

Are you saying that even the Replace with Source Contact will not change the ID/Status field?

In what version is the Replace with Newest Contact information available? I've seen this in some of the KB articles?

I don't have this option in my version of Act Prem. I've read that this option does change the information on the record. Is this correct?

I didn't see a "global" function do delete the contents of ID/Status field based on a lookup. Is that possible?

It will be very difficult for me to use the replace function as I cannot create a lookup for these contacts because they do not have a similar value at this point. This is why I need to change the current ID/Status.

In regards to backups. I understand the importance of backing up. Right now, I'm testing with 1 record. I do have an IT department that handles all of our back ups and plan to do that before I change several records.

I look forward to hearing more suggestions as to how I can accomplish my goal.

Thank you.

Replace with newest only apples if importing from another ACT! database

Have you checked the Duplicate Checking fields?

To globally (or just for a lookup) delete the contacts of a field:
BACKUP FIRST
Do a Lookup of the Contacts you want to update
Edit | Replace ... select the field and leave the value blank

Thank you for your suggestions however,

the contacts in my lookup (over 2000) do not all receive the same ID/Status.

So, the REPLACE option will not work.

There has to be a better way other than going record by record!

I would appreciate any inforamtion that may be helpful.

I have checked the duplicate records and I believe they are set correctly because it is finding the record as already existing.

I've tested leaving the User/ID status blank on one record and importing that way, but it still doesn't work.

Is there a known issue in ACT 2011 Prem that the import mapping does not map correcty? This is happening in my version.

I've read that ACT does not like  certain fields last and it seems to be mapping mine that way even though it's not in that order in my CSV file. Example: in my CSV file it shows last name, first name, company name, ID/Status then on the import mapping screen it shows Last name, first name, ID/Status and Company Name.

The article that I read said that it was fixed in 2011 but I'm not sure which build.

However, I've even tried using Contact name and ID/Status in my CSV file and it still doesn't import. The mapping is correct but

ID/Status does not import.

Are there any required fields for doing an import such as Last Name? Other programs that I've worked with have required fields.

I mentioned the Edit | Replace because you asked for a way to erase the current content for a lookup

I take it that there isn't anything in common with the records you could lookup for each ID/Status?

There have been changes in updates for the import ... have you tried getting the latest hotfix? If sharing data (lan or sync) this must be done on ALL systems.

Hello Mike,

Oh, right, I apologize, I forgot that I asked about globally deleting fields. However, the deleting fields didn't seem to change the import functionality. It still didn't import ID/Status when it was blank.

Yes, you're correct, the records in the lookup do not have anything in common. It's based on mulple queries.

I guess the bottom line question is, does the system allow importing of ID/Status to current contact records?

The picture is not clear on if  this is functionality or not.

In my testing it doesn't function but not sure if the system is supposed to operate this way or not.

Can you answer this question?

Please let me know.

Thanks

Well, technically ... it does update the field if it's blank
But, you're doing a replace ... which isn't just updating the field, it should replace every field in the contact with that from the source.

Yes, it should do that ... although there have been issues in the import that have changed with different patches and updates. That's why I suggested the latest hotfix.

In fact, 2011 SP1 had fixes for import issues in HF5 and HF6