Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Implementing ACT! and Outlook integration WITH Word used as the Outlook Editor

Tuned Listener

Implementing ACT! and Outlook integration WITH Word used as the Outlook Editor

Long story short - I have a client that has had both Office 2003 Pro and ACT! 2007 Premium for Workgroups installed now for over 4 years, but have not utilised ACT! to any great amount (like zero usage). They have become accustomed to using MS Outlook 2003 to handle their contacts and have been using Word as the editor for emails during that time.

Recently we managed to convince them that we should use the CRM capabilities of ACT! to help their business. An enthusiastic response and takeup with the client's company has been marred by the inability to continue to use Word as the Outlook editor when integrated with ACT! as it restricts the posting of histories and emails to ACT!.

We presented the limitation of integration between Outlook/Word/ACT at the time of the rollout, and I feel that acceptance may have been more a case of ignorance of how the users would respond than full understanding. 

The current environment is - Win XP Pro SP3 (patched), MS Office Pro 2003 SP3 (patched), Sage ACT! 2007 Premium for Workgroups - MS Server 2003 based domain - MS Exchange 2003

I accept that ACT! 2007 / Outlook 2003 with Word 2003 will not function. My question is there any combination of ACT! or Outlook/Word where you can use the functionality of Word in Outlook and still get full integration with ACT!

Regards

Frazzled Pinn

Tuned Listener

Re: Implementing ACT! and Outlook integration WITH Word used as the Outlook Editor

Update - finally got a response from the local SAGE / ACT! distributor support team. They have advised that versions of Office from MS Office 2007 amd onwards are able to support both ACT! integration and use Word as the editor for Outlook. Essentially they confirmed that internal changes to the coding of Office has removed the problem, and made my question moot.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

At this point, if the Office upgrade trial proves successful then the client is facing a application software refresh cost that hasn't been factored into the IT budget for the forseeable future.

Are there any other alternatives known?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Implementing ACT! and Outlook integration WITH Word used as the Outlook Editor

Hello Pinn,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. Yes, with ACT! 2007, you cannot use Word as the email editor as it will prevent emails from receording in ACT! history. This issue was overcome with ACT! 2008 and Office 2007. Also, If you are considering upgrading to Office 2007, then you will also need to upgrade ACT! as ACT! 2007 will not work with Office 2007.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.