Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

INABILITY TO CREATE ACT TEMPLATES IN MS WORD

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

INABILITY TO CREATE ACT TEMPLATES IN MS WORD

I am using ACT 2010 and MS Office 2007.  I have tried every which way I can think of to create a new template using using MS Word but after I save it, I and ACT can not find it.  I have tried using and saving one already created by ACT and I have tried creating a new one.

I dont seem to have this problem when I use ACT Word Processor.  I just rename it when I save it and it shows up.

I really want to use MS Word as my word processor.

Can anyone give me the step by step directions to create a new mail merge template in MS Word and have ACT recognize it so that I can use it. 

Any help would be appreciated.  I am very frustrated.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author aplotkin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: INABILITY TO CREATE ACT TEMPLATES IN MS WORD

In order to see MS Word templates (.adt files) in ACT!, you have to have Word selected as your default workd processor in preferences. Go to Tools/Preferences, select the Communication tab, and select Word as the default word processor from the dropdown at the top. You will have to toggle this if you are using both Word (.adt) and ACT! Word Processor (.tpl) templates. You can only see one file type at a time.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Copper Super Contributor

Review kb 13902.  Another thing you might want to check is your word processor in ACT! Under Tools, Preferences, Communications tab,  Word Processor.

Hope this was helpful

Leslie

Leslie Munson
ACT! Certified Consultant
Swiftpage Gold Drip Marketing Certified Consultant
Patricia Egen Consulting,LLC
Leslie@egenconsulting.com
www.egenconsulting.com
423-875-2652

I am sorry, this was not the solution, I still need help.  I was using the MS word as my word processor.
Solution
Accepted by topic author aplotkin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

In order to see MS Word templates (.adt files) in ACT!, you have to have Word selected as your default workd processor in preferences. Go to Tools/Preferences, select the Communication tab, and select Word as the default word processor from the dropdown at the top. You will have to toggle this if you are using both Word (.adt) and ACT! Word Processor (.tpl) templates. You can only see one file type at a time.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thank you.  Apparently you have to click on the "Apply" button, not "OK" for it to work.  Duh, if all else fails check the plug.

I appreciate the help.  It makes my life easier.

Thanks again.

I am using Act 2009 and Word 2010.  I can't figure out how to change my word processor to Word instead of Act Document.

Going to Tools, Preferences, Communication I do not have any other options to choose from - my only selection is Act Word Documents.

How do I change my default to Microsoft Word.

Please help!!

[ Edited ]

Hello bvitunic,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. The reason Word 2010 is not an option is because ACT! 2009 does not support that version of Word. You would need to upgrade to ACT! 2011, which does support Office 2010, or downgrade to Office 2007. The only other option is to use the ACT! Word Processor instead of Word.

Greig Hollister

[ Edited ]

I'm using ACT 2010 and Word 2007 and I cannot save a template as *.adt and I've selected word 2007 in the preferences several times.  I never had an issue when I used MS Office 2003.  This is the same problem someone else had and I tried the solutions offered and they did not work.  Can anyone tell me how to resolve this issue?  Thanks

Tuned Listener

I am having somewhat the same issue using ACT 2011 and Word 2007.  Under Tools - Preferences - Communication, Word is selected as the Word Processor.  When I create a NEW template in ACT - under the Write menu - the program saves it as an .adt file in the correct Templates folder.  But it won't let me save any changes to an existing ACT template as a new ACT template.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...

Nickel Super Contributor

Have you tried File | Save as | Other formats, and then name the file add .adt to the name, and then enclose in quotes.

Example:  "NewFileName.adt"

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT