Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

IMPORTING TRADE SHOW LEADS (Without completely overwriting data of contacts already in ACT)

IMPORTING TRADE SHOW LEADS (Without completely overwriting data of contacts already in ACT)

We attend 4-6 trade shows per year where we scan the badges of 250-500 contacts per show. Typically 10% of the contacts are already in our ACT Database while the rest are new contacts. My question is how to "import" the 10% pre existing contacts so that their records are updated with new company, phones, fax, email, address etc if indeed anything has changed or been added, and otherwise to leave their existing contact data alone.

Unfortunately I find us either overwriting their records completely which loses some data, or creating duplicates which I have to go in and manually clean up. I've tried the "Merge" feature thinking that would overwrite fields with data and populate fields that previously did not have any data and otherwise leave everything else alone, but that doesn't seem to work.

Does ANYONE have relevant experience with this. This must be a common challenge and I've got to believe that the software is designed to handle this efficiently and that it's simply a matter of user error

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: IMPORTING TRADE SHOW LEADS (Without completely overwriting data of contacts already in ACT)

The best way to do a field-level merge of data into ACT! is to use itImport.

You can download a trial from http://www.glcomputing.com.au/main/57/1