Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

IE9 has to run as admin to be able to get ACT 2012 premium data

Copper Contributor

IE9 has to run as admin to be able to get ACT 2012 premium data

Hello,

Can anyone please tell me the exact reason why we have to run IE9 as admin to be able to get to ACT database using browser? Thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: IE9 has to run as admin to be able to get ACT 2012 premium data

That's caused by the Windows UAC (User Access Control). It's mainly a block in IE9 to limit external probrams easy access to IE9. One way around it is to turn off the UAC.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Turn off the UAC only saves us time to click on "run as administrator". It won't make our system more secure instead it makes it worse. We hope we can run IE9 as normal user and still be able to reach ACT database.

Is it possible ACT can work on the java or other script over browser side internally to get necessary access it needs instead of forcing IE9 to run as administrator? Thanks!

I would doubt it because it's IE9 that's forcing administrator status for external connection to IE9. ACT! doesn't create that requirement. FYI you can set individual programs to always run as administrator which would be an alternative to diabling UAC.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Thanks and I would like to try your suggestion on set the individual program to run as admin only. Could you please inform me the steps of setting it if you don't mind? Thanks!

I can't provide precise directions because of my system configuration but you need to right click on the program icon and select properties and then check the tabs for ab item "Always run as administrator." Wish you luck.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Please ignore my last reply. I don't know what I was thinking about when I replied. Sorry.

Actually what I meant to say was according to your suggestion, I could set IE9 individually run as admin always instead of disable UAC. But if I do so, any external program run in IE9 would be run as admin, right? Is there anyway we can only set ACT database run on IE9 as admin? Thanks!