Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ID/Status and Notes fields not syncing to Google Contacts

Copper Elite Contributor

ID/Status and Notes fields not syncing to Google Contacts

I'm using ACT! Premium 2012 with Google Integration.

After enabling Google Integration, several ACT! fields are missing in Google, particularly the ID/Status, and Notes.

The ID/Status should map to Groups in Google Contacts, and the Notes should also sync to Google Contacts.

How do I get these fields to map correctly?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ID/Status and Notes fields not syncing to Google Contacts

Platinum Super Contributor

The following article has instructions for overriding the default Google/ACT! field mapping: KB Article 28129

Notes are not considered a 'field' and are not available in this mapping process.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

Greg,

I've already seen this article and haven't been able to get it to work. 

A couple of questions:

1) How do you open the .map file to edit? I tried Notepad, but everything shows up in just a couple of lines.

2) What are the proper ACT! and Google Contact variable names to use for the ID/Status and Notes fields?

Thanks.

I opened the file with MS Frontpage, but any HTML editor should work to format the lines.

With Notepad, I enabled 'Word Wrap'  (under the Format heading), then decreased the width of the Notepad window.  It wasn't perfect, but was better than everything written on 2 lines.

For ID/Status, I see the ACT! name is 'Category'.  The only way I know for determining Google field names is to export a Google contact to CSV and open it with Excel to see the column headers.  However; having exported two contacts individually from Google - I was presented with two very different lists of fields.

Notes are not a field within ACT! and are not a part of this process.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

Greg, what does it mean that "Notes are not a field within ACT! and are not a part of this process?"

I was using Companionlink for Google and it synced the ACT! notes just fine to Google.

Platinum Elite Contributor

If you need the Notes and greater flexibility (like support of international phone numbers), you should stay with Companion Link

It is just to indicate that Notes are not considered a field, like Contact, Address, City, or State. "Notes" is not an option through Define Fields. Since it is not a 'field', it is not available for the mapping override.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

Given the issues I'd been having and if Notes aren't an available field, I picked up and re-activated Companionlink and all is now OK.

That's actually a pretty big disappointment since I was assuming all the hoopla over Google integration meant that I'd be able to eliminate a 3rd party app.

Copper Super Contributor

My google sync is excerpting what appears to be the recent notes and histories for my contacts.  How is this even possible?  It clearly shows the last 5 history entries in both the Gmail interface and on my Blackberry curve.  When I am at a client site I can't replicate this functionality....any idea what I might have done to get the google sync to excerpt notes and histories into the memo field?

John Tytus
Prescience, LLC
Cincinnati, OH
www.iprescience.com