Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I need to create a copy of my ACT database

I need to create a copy of my ACT database

We'd like to create a copy of our ACT 2011 database so we can make layout changes to the copied database to see if it will work for us but do not want it to affect the original database. 

I believe I can use actdiag to detach all databases then create a backup and copy that over, however after I detach the database I can not log in to create the backup?

Whats the best way to go about this?

Re: I need to create a copy of my ACT database

Ok..So I make the backup first then detach all the databases, then copy over and rename the backup?  ADF file? 

Then re-attach the original database?

Platinum Elite Contributor

I tried that before awhile back and the copy sync'd up with the original.  Is that no longer the case?  I just rename the copy and all should be good and the 2 databses will be completely independent of each other?

Thanks for the reply but  I forgot to mention that this a shared non-local database.  The Save Copy As will not work. 

Thanks again.

The database is on a shared network drive.  I tried doing the Save Copy As from the server and get the can not copy dialog because its a non-local shared database

When I try the Save Copy As on the server that contains the shared drive, I get a warning saying the current database is a non-local database.

I've made a copy before and I had to use actdiag and detach the databases then I believe I copied it over but I am not sure.  In one instance I tried this and the copied database was still linked to the original.