Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I need real help on sharing a database... I'm dying here.....

Copper Contributor

I need real help on sharing a database... I'm dying here.....

Please advise as I am at wits end. Before I sign up for a complete online replacement to ACT, I hope someone can help me.

I really enjoy using ACT, but would like to share my database with two other sales people in my office.  I need some clear and simple way to do this.  One critical factor is that I need to be able to send out letters using my own Outlook account direct from ACT and have it recorded I the history.

So my questions are

1/ how do I set up ACT in a designated computer (or on a POGOPLUG) so all three of us can access it –at the same or different times

3/ How can we all access the same database, with the feel that is it local

2/ Although we now use a remote service (logmein) to access my admins computer where ACT is stored, it’s a slow process, not full screen and we cannot send out emails directly as if it was local.

I’m sure I'm not the first to ask this question, but there seems like there must be an easy way to use ACT across some network that feels and responds like it does when I use my ACT directly on my own computer.

One thought I had was to use our own copy of ACT software on our own computers and install the database on our three computers, and merge the data each day (all data…if that is possible) ---  Will that work?

BTW---  we a very small business on a very tight budget

Thank you very much

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: I need real help on sharing a database... I'm dying here.....

You didn't mention if you have a network between your computers.  What operating system are the computers?    yes, you can install the database on a designated server workstation and share the database to others in the network.   Most ACT Certified Consultants can  you help  you set this up, check the Find ACC.  There are other options also, synchronization could be an option.

Tamara Traylor
New Ideas Consulting Inc
Copper Contributor

Ok..maybe now, were getting somewhere...thank you.  I have a small office and we have a 'workgroup" between the computers.--sometimes I also work outside the office as well and would like to also use ACT...

we have XP and Win 7 systems.  We use ACT 2009  (version 11)

Thank you!

Bronze Contributor

a) If you want to also be able to use ACT out of the office then you need to setup synchronisation which is generally a simple process if you do it every day but can be a little more complex if you are doing it for the first time. I would suggest ring a local consultant and get an estimate on the cost as you might find it is a small investment to get it working first time

b) If you just want to share go to Tool, database maintenance on the master machine and tick the box to share, now you should be able to copy the .pad file from that machine to yours and hopefully it will open across the network.

If solution b does not work go back to a) and ring a local consultant as the issue could be

1. Firewall

2 Antivirus

3 Permissions

Any good consultant should be able to sort this out and get you up and running quite quickly. If this all fails I could negotiate to do this remotely but remember I am in Australia and time zones may not suit. Let me know directly and I may be able to recommend a local consultant.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

thank you...I did --   (b) If you just want to share go to Tool, database maintenance on the master machine and tick the box to share

and SHARE is ghosted out...  any ideas?

is synch and share different methods?

Copper Elite Contributor

User Access Control in the User Control panel is causing this, turn off and reboot. option should be available

Tamara Traylor
New Ideas Consulting Inc
Copper Contributor

Thank you...after trying over and over, i was able to COPY the db from the main computer to my laptop. 

Both have the same name

Now I need to know what to do next.  On the main computer, sharing is checked (in tools menu)....  on the laptop, sharing is ghosted.

So I do not think the above answer applies.

My wish is now sync daily, these two computers,,,each way, so we are always current.  I feel I am closer, but still a few miles to go.  

Thank you for the help and patience.

Copper Elite Contributor

Hello Alkaye,

Please click on the links below, they are from our online knowledge base and should answer your questions.

How to Share an ACT! by Sage Database over a Network

How To Set Up Application Synchronization in ACT!

Kurt Rosemann

Platinum Act! Consultants
Kurt@ActiveSales.net | www.ActiveSales.net | 877-569-8005
Nickel Super Contributor

If you have the computers in the office on a network (which is almost a given if they can all access the Internet) and also want to use ACT! on a computer outside of the office, here's what you need to do, in broad strokes:

- set up the ACT! database to be shared, using the KB article linked in another reply

- if you are on ACT! Pro, set up application sync using the other article Kurt linked to

- if you are on ACT! Premium, you can use application sync which takes a little less setup, but I would use Network Synchronization - KB article here

- if you are happy synchronizing just when your computer is in the office, you're done.  If you want to sync a notebook via the Internet while out of the office or want to sync a desktop located elswhere, you'll need to do port forwarding on your router to direct traffic from the Internet to your master database.  It's a little longer a process than I want to get into here, but there is an article that explains the concept here - it's fairly technical, which is why we end up setting up a lot of these sorts of things.

Cheers,

Len

Len Kamerman
ACT! Certified Consultant

Act E-mail Marketing Trainining Course:

http://actsoftware.training
Copper Contributor

thank you. I think I am closer. I copied the entire DB from one computer ---the main --- to my laptop

now..., if I am confused. the instructions say to copy the PAD file from the main computer to the laptop.  Will the laptop be able to find the database?  --I have not done that yert

I know now, it finds it just fine, because the PAD is being pulled locally....

so thats what has me confused...  will the new PAD file repalce the local one and be fine?

I am being gentle as I dont want to mess anytrhing up.  

I feel i am very close to getting done...and just a bit unlceasr on the info on the KB.

Thank you for your patience.