Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I need help with an export/import 2012... Getting frustrated

I need help with an export/import 2012... Getting frustrated

We recently hired a new sales guy who will be working in a different state.
He needs access to ACT.

I have worked with an ACC trying to get this all installed/configured the proper way, but even he had issues...
Our original plan was to buy the sales guy an ipad, and use the ACT for Web service to have him use ACT.
However, Our network is currently preventing us from getting the mobile version of ACT working. 

So plan B:  I figured add him to the database on the server, backup the database from the server, put it in a dropbox, and restore it on his end... However, our server does not have enough hard drive space to make a backup of the Database.  Even if i changed the destination of the backup to an external HD it failed (because it makes a temporary file before moving it to the external HD)  So i logged into my ACT account on my computer, ran a backup, put it in dropbox, and restored it on his end.  Now it wont let me restore the database using his login credentials.  And when i use my login credentials to restore the database it takes up the license and wont let me login using his name. 

I need to get him up and running, and i also need to be sure that once our network issues are resolved he can SYNC with our database.  What the heck do i do?  We already paid an ACC $500 bucks to help us and got nowhere, i dont want to do it again...

Please help..

Copper Contributor

Re: I need help with an export/import 2012... Getting frustrated

Are you using Act 2012 Premium (access via web)?

You said your network was preventing access.  Is this a firewall issue?  What is preventing you from opening the port?  Dou you have a static IP?  (All basic questions, but might as well get them out of the way...)

Can you access the mobile version while at your server?  from another desktop inside the firewall? 

(http://server-name/APFW/contacts/contactDetail.aspx )

Syncing and running the mobile version are two different things.  Running the mobile verison, he will be accessing live data on the server.  With syncing he'll keep a separate copy of the database on his computer.  Which would be your preference?

We are using 2012 Premium.  We WANTED to be using web acces but our ACC had problems.

We are not sure what is causing the problem on the network. 
When you try to access the web version by going to the website it was assigned you see "Bad Request (Invalid Hostname)"
However if you go to the "localhost" webpage on the server it is installed on, it works just fine. 
We did make the changes to port forewarding on our router/firewall to allow access, so that shouldnt be the problem.

Had our IT consultant look at our IIS headers, and everything looked right to him. 

We would really prefer to just let him make live changes usign his iPad.

Copper Contributor

From Tools-Website Administration (you'll need to run Act as administrator) click TEST.  OK here?

The from the Add Remove DB tab, ckick test Database.  Test Successful?

Is the virtual Directory "APFW" with your database and Host name below?

First test was successful.

Under the Add Remove DB Tab there is two Virtual Directories
1. APFW linked to ACT 2012Demo Database

2.CompanyName linked to our company database

If i click "Test" with our CompanyName virtual directory selected i get:
Unable to cast object of type 'System.Object[]' to type 'System.String'

If i click "test DB" while i have our company DB selected and insert my user credentials it shows Test Successful

Copper Contributor

So if you click TEST next to APFW, the Demo database opens in a browser window. 

Does your Web site Administration dialog look like this?

APFW.jpg

Copper Contributor

Have you tried restarting IIS Service??

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

this is what mine looks like..

If i "Test" APFW or DornColor they both display the error messege i showed earlier. 
Yes, my IT consultant did try to reset IIS services, multiple times. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Why not look at using Handheld Contact for the iPad?

More functional, easier to setup and more secure.