Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I can't restore my backup...help please!

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

I can't restore my backup...help please!

I current have ACT! Premium Edition 2008. Recently my computer died and I had gotten a new laptop. The new laptop had Windows 7 and therefore the ACT! 2008 won't run on it. I installed VMWare player and installed Windows XP as a vitual machine and ACT! installed perfectly fine and is up and running without any problems. I can make a new database and basically everything is functioning.

So then I tried to restore the backup zip file I have and I keep getting this "the file you are attempting to restore does not contain an ACT! backup".

Does anyone know how I can restore the files and contacts? I need them bad! Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: I can't restore my backup...help please!

figured it out...

basically my old version of act 2008 had a patch upgrade. and once i registered the product on the new install on my new laptop....after a little while i saw a prompt to install a patch. once the patch was installed i was able to restore it with "restore as" i think.

at first it didnt work because i had used a new admin name. then i just had to use the original admin name and it worked.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Are you doing a Restore As?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

just as a normal restore. i cant seem to how to use the "restore as". mind explaining to me how to do this? thx Smiley Happy

btw, when i use restore as i get a massive error message that makes no sense and its long....and says something like "restore database is terminating abnormally" and a whole bunch of random scripts.....its weird.

Solution
Accepted by ghollister (Platinum Elite Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

figured it out...

basically my old version of act 2008 had a patch upgrade. and once i registered the product on the new install on my new laptop....after a little while i saw a prompt to install a patch. once the patch was installed i was able to restore it with "restore as" i think.

at first it didnt work because i had used a new admin name. then i just had to use the original admin name and it worked.