Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I can not get help topics to work

I can not get help topics to work

I have installed ACT premium more than once and I can't get the help topics to bring up anything but a blank page. IE or Google browsers do the same thing.

file:///C:/ACT_Premium_2011/Guide/WebHelp/Default.htm seems to be blank.  The content files are there ok.  What am I doing wrong ?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: I can not get help topics to work

The location you have in your post - is that the installation patch (C:/ACT_Premium_2011) for the ACT! program, or is it where the ACT! installation files were extracted?  It looks like the extraction path. 

How are you accessing the database, is it through the installed ACT! program or the web interface?

And to verify, the location you have listed - that is the webpage opened when you click on 'Help Topics', correct?

Greg Martin
Sage

You are correct.  I grabbed the url for the installation files location.

file:///C:/ProgramData/Sage%20Software,%20Inc/Sage%20ACT!/13.1.111.0/WebHelp/Default.htm#2002

This is the path to the actual help files.  The one the ACT application opens but is blank. Sorry.  They are located there.  To access the database, I am running a RDP session with the server 2008 and accessing the actual installed ACT application.

The good news is you've already done the leg work - you know where the program is looking and where the installation files are located.  You'll want to replace the location accessed by the program (C:/programdata/sage...Webhelp) with the Webhelp folder from the installation files. 

FYI: within the Webhelp installation folder you should find:

- Content (folder)

- Data (folder)

- Skin (folder)

- Subsystem (folder)

- Default.htm

- Default.js

- Default.mcwebhelp

- Default.xml

- Default_CSH.htm

- Default_Left.htm

Greg Martin
Sage

Not sure I understand.  I do not see a way to change where ACT looks for the help files.  So I copied the installation webhelp directory and all of its contents from the install location to the 'programdata' location and I still get teh same results: an open browser in frames mode with no data in it.

- Kirk

Sorry if it was confusing - but that's exactly what I was suggesting.  Copy the Webhelp installation folder into the location that the program is looking for (/C:/ProgramData/Sage%20Software,%20Inc/Sage%20ACT!/13.1.111.0/WebHelp/Default.htm#2002).

When you are in the ProgramData... WebHelp folder: can you open the Default.htm file using Notepad - does it show content?

To double check, you have all of the files listed previously in the Webhelp folder - correct?

- Does the 'Content' folder have any sub-folders and files (@45 items)?

Greg Martin
Sage

Now it's getting interesting..  The files are all fine... I moved the 'Guide' directory to another machine and it works fine.

It is definitely something machine specific.  Server2008 Standard SP2.  I've tried IE8 and Chrome browswers and neither will correctly display the default.htm help file correctly on this box.  either from the installation files directory or the 'progdata location'

Now I feel inadequate as well.  I'm stumped as to what setting on the machine would do this.  IE8 security is OFF for all practical purposes.  I use chrome usually because it works where IE8 normally complains.  I'm going to try FireFox now.

Any other suggestions ?

Verdict in..  Firefox correctly displays teh content and is set as the default browser.  Problem is now ACT doesnt respect the default browser setting and continues to try with IE8.  Is there a way to Fix that ?

There isn't a way to change the default browser for ACT!, it will use IE.  I've not seen IE8 fail to display the Help screens before, but you may want to check the IE8 Compatibility View settings.  Have you tried resetting the IE > Tools > Security > Zone settings to Default?

Beyond the settings in IE8, how about any anti-virus software?  If present, try adding ACT! exceptions to it:  KB Article 25125

Greg Martin
Sage