Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to stop another ACT database

Tuned Listener

How to stop another ACT database

On my production server I created a new ACT database that a co-worker wants to use to keep records of potential customers and after a response to an email, they would be moved to our primary ACT database.

Currently, I have a process that nightly backups my primary ACT database by running a bat file that stops the database using NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7 and then does an XCOPY of the appropriate files and then restarts the database

using NET START MSSQL$ACT7.  Right after copying the primary database, I added an XCOPY of the newest database.

It didn't work last night and I think that I assumed that the NET STOP MSSQL$ACT7 command would stop both databases

but in testing today I realized that I couldn't copy files directly because the new database is attached.  I don't want to have

to manually detach that new database and reattach it in order to back it up.

I need some guidance on what I am doing wrong.  Is this process not possible?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to stop another ACT database

Why not use the ACT! scheduler create a backup of both database and place the backup ZIP files in a location that is backup by the server backup. then there would be no need to stop the SQL server.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Roy, thanks for the response.  That's what we originally did with the primary database until the day when we moved the database from one server to another and found that attachments were missing.  The reason?  Our database is large, and the attachments were not being added to the zip file.  Thus the move to stopping the database, copying the files and restarting it.  We are intending to cleanup our database by moving current contacts to a new primary database and then retain the current database as an archive.  But going forward, regardless of size, I will continue the backup strategy that we have in place.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Then I have another suggestion. Many backup programs now have the capability of backing up open files. On my personal system I use Genie Backup Pro 8 and it's had that capability for several years. It backups up the ACT! database files whether the server is stopped or not. You might check to see if that is possible with you server backup program or if that capability is available for it. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Roy, great information.  I may need to consider the capability of backing up open files down the road.  I was just reading something related to that the other day.

I think that I will contact ACT support and see what I can find from them.  The other thing that I should consider is what you said in your first reply.  Backing up this new database using the ACT backup process and creating a zip file.  There will not be much data in it so restoring it shouldn't be an issue, although I will test first.