Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to speed up ACT v 10 andremote synch

How to speed up ACT v 10 andremote synch

I have been an act user for 20 years and have upgraded to V 10 so i can synch my database with remote users. I have 2 issues and would like some advice on how to make things quicker: 1. Speed of loading ACT v 10. I have 1500 contacts linked to 440 companies. 2. How do people synch with remote users? I created a remote database and sent it out to my users. What and how frequently do they send a file back for updating? Thanks, Steve

Re: How to speed up ACT v 10 andremote synch

I found out the hard way that you should sync early and often. What ACT doesn't make clear, imo, is that syncing involves huge flows of data. We started attaching quotes to the document tab. I missed two days of sync, and the backlog of data was so great, that sync would not complete in 24 hrs. Well, after ACT's finest tried to fix it, I finally had to just generate new remote db's for everyone. Not good. Lost several day's work. My experience says that once you get beyond syncing basic contacts / history, etc., the system really isn't practical for remote users.
Platinum Elite Contributor

snorring wrote:
I have been an act user for 20 years and have upgraded to V 10 so i can synch my database with remote users. I have 2 issues and would like some advice on how to make things quicker: 1. Speed of loading ACT v 10. I have 1500 contacts linked to 440 companies. 2. How do people synch with remote users? I created a remote database and sent it out to my users. What and how frequently do they send a file back for updating? Thanks, Steve

1. What sort of harward are you running on - RAM, HDD speed, Processor (both workstation and server if on a LAN)
2. How many users? Which version of ACT! (Standard or Premium)?
Platinum Elite Contributor

nctravellinman wrote:
I found out the hard way that you should sync early and often. What ACT doesn't make clear, imo, is that syncing involves huge flows of data. We started attaching quotes to the document tab. I missed two days of sync, and the backlog of data was so great, that sync would not complete in 24 hrs. Well, after ACT's finest tried to fix it, I finally had to just generate new remote db's for everyone. Not good. Lost several day's work. My experience says that once you get beyond syncing basic contacts / history, etc., the system really isn't practical for remote users.

You can select not to sync attachments, which will make it faster... and, instead of embedding attachments use www.Foldershare.com and link them

Another option for remote users is ACT! for Web