Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to remove the key icon from beside a contact in List View?

Copper Contributor

How to remove the key icon from beside a contact in List View?

I hope somebody can help.

One of the contacts we recently added to our ACT database has a key icon next to it – our other contacts do not have a key next to it.

Here’s an image of it:

katherine.jpg

Does anyone know how to remove this icon from a contact, please? And also what it represents?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: How to remove the key icon from beside a contact in List View?

That key means the contact is a user of your database.  If the name is not one of your users then someone over wrote the user's name with another name by mistake.

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Copper Contributor

Hello Karen,

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

Yes, it looks like a copy and paste type of error, with something being over-written.

Funnily enough, I'm currently working my way through the ACT! for Dummies book, which is written by a Karen Fredricks (I'm presuming you wrote this book - if not, please just ignore the rest of this message)  - and very helpful it is, too! And for a techie book, it has  a nice, pleasant tone to it as well (it's not just a list of menu paths). So I think I'll be using your book quite lot over the next few months.

Best regards,

Grant.

Copper Contributor

Hello again, Karen,

Hope you don’t mind if I ask you a quick, question, please?

Re, my query: I’m looking to remove this person as a user, but to keep them in the Act! database as a contact.

On page 237 of your book, there are instructions for this – I’ve included a photo below.

It’s concerning the first bulleted point and the info for the second dialog box. This second dialog box will ask ‘whether you want to retain this user as a contact’ (which is what I wish to do). But the book says that if I click yes, ‘the use can no longer be one of the contacts in your database’.

I’d have thought that if I click yes to this second dialog box, then the contact would remain as a contact.

Am I mis-reading this?

I’d be grateful if you could advise, please.

Regards,
Grant.

dummies-book.JPG

Copper Elite Contributor

Grant, I should hire you as one of my tech editors!  Thanks for pointing this out; you are absolutely correct. It should say answer yes to retain the contact.  My books have tons of editors and this material was included in several versions of the Dummies books.  You would have thought one of us would have caught. this along the way.  And thank you for your kind words about the book!

Karen Fredricks
Tech Benders
561-470-5450
Copper Contributor

Ha ha! You’re welcome, Karen. I was worried I’d been looking at it for way too long, and was no longer making sense of it!

Okay, so if I click ‘Yes’ to this second dialog box, then the former user will still remain a contact in the database? Sorry for double-checking this point, but you know how it is with being nervous about losing data unintentionally.

Grant.