Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to overcome remote database admin limitations

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to overcome remote database admin limitations

I'm aware that potentially crucial admin functions such as 'define fields' and under Manage Users, Create User and Delete User is disabled when using a remote database, although I can't imagine why those would be disabled.  Field definitions, custom screens, and users are database elements that should be able to be synced with the publishing/master database.

I need to be able to delegate administration and some custom programming to remote users, but I can't do that with these crucial functions disabled by ACT.  The only alternative I tried, was to setup a VPN connection from the remote location to the computer hosting the database and access the database as a local user to the shared database.  As expected, performance is awful and took a lot of trickery to get that to work.

Any other alternatives?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ActNewb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

Re: How to overcome remote database admin limitations

[ Edited ]

This is one of those "close your eyes and think of England" moments.

Schema changes cannot be performed on a remote subscriber databases, as schema changes can only be passed one-way from the publisher to the subscriber databases. I've included a chart of the differences between the host, subscriber, and web client database access differences at the following link:

http://www.keystroke.ca/default.asp?pID=50

Now having said that, ACT Premium for Web 2014 plans to include additional administration functions in the web client, which may provide you some relief. The admin changes include the ability to create fields and edit layouts from within the browser. ACT for Web 2013 already introduced User Managment within the web client, so some of these admin functions are available to you right away.

Anyway, options to consider and plan for.

Hope this helps.

Kq\

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author ActNewb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is one of those "close your eyes and think of England" moments.

Schema changes cannot be performed on a remote subscriber databases, as schema changes can only be passed one-way from the publisher to the subscriber databases. I've included a chart of the differences between the host, subscriber, and web client database access differences at the following link:

http://www.keystroke.ca/default.asp?pID=50

Now having said that, ACT Premium for Web 2014 plans to include additional administration functions in the web client, which may provide you some relief. The admin changes include the ability to create fields and edit layouts from within the browser. ACT for Web 2013 already introduced User Managment within the web client, so some of these admin functions are available to you right away.

Anyway, options to consider and plan for.

Hope this helps.

Kq\

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Copper Super Contributor

That, or maybe like a "...without the courtesy of a reacharound" moment.  Smiley Frustrated

Will ACT Premium for Web 2014 require that all our licenses be upgraded, or can it be upgraded by just the publisher and the remote web client that needs the additional admin functions?

Nickel Contributor

No version of ACT supports a mixed deployments. You're all in or all out.

I'm not sure which version of ACT you're currently running, but you should be mindful of the fact ACT! 2010 users are no longer eligible for upgrade pricing, and 2011 users will suffer the same fate on October 1st of this year.

If you're working with an ACC, you should contact them about upgrading this month as the pricing is 25% off, and Business Care is 50% off. An excellent ime to buy.

Kq\

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca
Copper Super Contributor

We have ACT 2013 premium.  We had passed on the Business Care when we purchased, but if this turns out to be an essential need (remote admin and schema changes), we may have to reconsider Business Care (to get the free upgrade to ACT 2014).

Thanks for the info.