Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to install when database is on separate server...

How to install when database is on separate server...

We are currently running ACT2006 on ServerA. I have built a new app server, ServerB. I want to install 2008PRemium on ServerB, and tell it to use a database on my SQL2005 database server. (I will then copy the old 2006 DB to the db server, and have ACT perform the DB upgrade.)

I have gone to my SQL server and created an ACT7 instance per a kb article here. That was fine. Im now trying to install ACT2008 onto my application server. When I go through the install Wizard it wants me to choose the file path for installing SQL Express. I cannot 'deny' this option. How can I just install the ACT application without being forced to install sql on the local box?

M

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to install when database is on separate server...

ACT! requires to install SQL during it's install. If none of your users will be using Internet Mail or accessing any local databases, the SQL services can be disabled later.

You'll also need ACT! on the database server.

have you read this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/3tpjjd

Yes, that is the KB article I followed to get the ACT7 instance installed on my SQL2k5 server. That was the easy part...

Now I think Im pushed into the situation of installing ACT2006 fresh onto a new server (because the old one can barely function), migrating users to that install, then installing ACT!2008 inplace over 2006, and getting the 2008 clients connected/registered, and then trying to move the database to sql2005 server. Is that reasonable/possible, altho tedious?

It would be easier if the 'enterprise' version of ACT! were a bit more flexible for enterprise infrastructures.

M

Platinum Elite Contributor

mariaworld wrote:

Yes, that is the KB article I followed to get the ACT7 instance installed on my SQL2k5 server. That was the easy part...

You still need ACT! on the SQL server

Now I think Im pushed into the situation of installing ACT2006 fresh onto a new server (because the old one can barely function), migrating users to that install, then installing ACT!2008 inplace over 2006, and getting the 2008 clients connected/registered, and then trying to move the database to sql2005 server. Is that reasonable/possible, altho tedious?

No need to install ACT! 2006 on the new server and have it's build of .Net left there. Just backup the database from the old ACT! 2006 server, install ACT! 2008 on the new server and do a Restore | Restore_As - it should convert the database.

It would be easier if the 'enterprise' version of ACT! were a bit more flexible for enterprise infrastructures.

Well, most ACT! users aren't in the "enterprise" area... those users usually go for SalesLogix, although ACT! is gradually growing there (or the SMB users are growing their technical infrastructure) and each version is making that easier.