Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to have ACT monitor a secondary SQL table for new records

Copper Contributor

How to have ACT monitor a secondary SQL table for new records

We have just installed a Laserfiche Forms system which is great for easily capturing data.

We cannot have the data from Forms go directly into ACT (as our consultant won't do this) so we are going to have a secondary SQL database table setup which forms will insert new records into.

My question is what is the best way to have ACT monitor that SQL table for new records and have the data imported into ACT and then mark the record in the SQL table as no longer being new.

Any suggestions?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to have ACT monitor a secondary SQL table for new records

What you're suggesting can't be done (if at all) without extensive custom programming. If  Laserfiche Forms can create an Excel, CSV or Access file you need to look at a third party product called OakMerge to use to import the data into the ACT! database. http://www.oakmerge.com/ They even have a scheduler to do unattended imports.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

I know what I'm suggesting can be done with custom programming and I am looking to find out what would be the best way to go about it.  Not really looking to use a program like OakMerge.

I guess I am looking for a point in the right direction.  Couldn't I, or a developer I hire, just create a plugin or service that does this for me?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes, maybe. However you will pay for more (several times more) than the cost of the addon.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

Very good point.  Cost is always a big factor.  We are trying to go for more automation to remove steps of someone having to import the data into ACT which was why I figured having a plugin or service that runs automatically would be more favourable.

OakMerge is a great tool but I don't believe it does what we are looking for.  Thanks for your suggestions though!

-Eric

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Eric,

I can suggest two options, neither are expensive:

1. Use our Smart Forms for Act!  Refer: http://www.xactsoftware.co.nz/smart-forms   which is automated and uses Wufoo forms at the front end. You wouldn't need to use Laserfiche and you have got the automated workflow you want, direct into Act! no import process required. easily setup no development required. - uses an iForm on your existing company website for data entry.  

2. You could use our XData API for Act! to integrate Act! to Laserfiche, you wouldn't need to have knowledge of the Act! SDK for development, just html skills. Refer http://xdata.xactsoftware.co.nz/ This option may be more than you require. Live persistent connection to Act! for data entry. 

Contact support@xactsoftware.co.nz for more information.

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Unfortunatley the consultant is already setting up Laserfiche Forms which we purchased (L:aserfiche is a central piece of software at our office) and we are engaged to have the first part of the project completed by them.

I appreciate the suggestions for those softwares but they do not help me address my problem at hand.

Thanks again.

Silver Super Contributor

You can create a program to do it or you can hire a developer.  I've done quite a few projects like yours.  If you are proficient in .NET programming you can probably write it yourself.  If you aren't you should probably hire someone to do it.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Thanks for your input Stan.

I wouldn't say I am proficeient in .NET but I know enough to program simple plugins and interact with the ACT SDK.

The company I work for is always on an extreme tight budget so if I could learn how to do this it would keep them happy.

I just need a point in the right direction.

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

e_hoog wrote:

... We are trying to go for more automation to remove steps of someone having to import the data into ACT which was why I figured having a plugin or service that runs automatically would be more favourable.

OakMerge is a great tool but I don't believe it does what we are looking for.  Thanks for your suggestions though!

and...

The company I work for is always on an extreme tight budget so if I could learn how to do this it would keep them happy.

Eric,

With respect, your company can't have it both ways.

If, as you say, you want automated workflow to streamline process and not have to import data then that has a cost. Seems to me that your best option given the tight budget is to take up Roy's original suggestion and use the Oak Merge utility.

From expereince in building accounting links for Act!, including an installable server component, QBLink Server, I can assure you that is a complex task with many hurdles negotiating permissions, firewalls and ever increasing restrictions imposed by each release of MS server OS.... A push over it is not.

As I earlier suggested, a direct persistent connection to the .Net framework via an  API overcomes many complexities that otherwise stand in the way.     

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog