Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to get companies from imported contacts to be recognised as Companies in ACT Premium 2012?

Copper Contributor

How to get companies from imported contacts to be recognised as Companies in ACT Premium 2012?

Hi,

We recently started using ACT Premium 2012 and we have imported very basic contact records from Outlook. This included a Company for each contact.

When viewing an imported contact record in ACT the company name is in the correct field, but when we click on "Companies" on the default left hand menu the companies related to the imported contacts are not there. 

How do we get all those company names to be recognised as companies by ACT?

Cheers,

Kevin

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: How to get companies from imported contacts to be recognized as Companies in ACT Premium 2012?

Hi Kevin

You need to create the Company first, and then add or link the contact to that company.

Please refer to this KB article on how to manage companies.  There are 2 different ways to give a contact membership to a group or company.

If you create a specific rule for company membership, then contacts will be dynamically added to that company.  The article will step you through how to do this.

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au
Copper Contributor

I'm sorry Cherie I think perhaps I didn't explain myself...

I'm sorry Cherie I think perhaps I didn't explain myself properly.

I have imported 400+ contacts and I want to create the Companies from the contacts. I am wanting to avoid manually creating each company.

Are there any third party tools that will do this?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: I'm sorry Cherie I think perhaps I didn't explain myself...

You can create a company from the contact.  When you have a contact in detail view from the top contact drop down menu select create company from contact. But again, this is still one company at a time.

I believe there are a few add ons, Company Wizard Plus or Company Maker.  I've never used either though, so can't vouch for how good they work.

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au
Platinum Elite Contributor

Both are good tools for what you are asking. Here are the links:
Company Wizard: http://www.actaddons.com/products/2005/company_wizard.asp
CompanyMaker: http://www.actaddons.com/products/2005/companymaker.asp

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Thanks guys, those add-ons look like just what I need!

Cheers