Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to export/import and retain group membership

BWS
Tuned Listener

How to export/import and retain group membership

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Using Act! Premium 2011 w/ Hot Fix 5, I'm trying to export contacts to a database and retain the group membership from the source DB.  I have an active DB and want to create an archive DB.  This means I need to move a ton of contacts and groups I have not worked with in awhile to the archive DB.  I am also upgrading the active DB.  This means am going from DB 1 (old active DB) to DB 2 (archive DB - so I need all groups etc intact) and then DB 3 (which is the new, upgraded active DB).  Now, the export (or import - whatever works) is very important because there are many new fields in both of these new databases (the destination databases are identical and made by using the "Save as Empty Copy" command).

Ok, so now you have a pretty good idea of what I am trying to do.  Pretty simple, right?  Just export from the source database, map the fields, and we're all set.  Problem is, the GROUP MEMBERSHIP IS NOT RETAINED WHEN THE CONTACTS ARE EXPORTED OR IMPORTED INTO THE DESTINATION DATABASES (the ones I am exporting to). 

So this would mean unless there is another solution to this problem, I am going to have to assign thousands of contacts to groups manually?  That just seems plain goofy.

I have tried exporting and importing multiple times, have looked things up in the knowledge base, to no avail.  Curiously there was a thread about this same issue over a year ago.  And although that thread was answered, the recommended solution has not worked for me, and didn't seem to work for that poster either.  

So how can contacts be exported and imported while having their group memberships remain with them in the destination DB?

Thanks for your help.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: How to export/import and retain group membership

there is an option to export groups...that won't do it for you?

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
BWS
Tuned Listener

Thanks for your response. 

The Export Groups option does not work.  The result when using that is the groups are exported, the contacts are exported, but they are not connected.  So for example, you might have 1,000 contacts and 100 groups all connected and assigned correctly in the source DB, but after the export, in the database you exported to,  you will have 1,000 contacts and 100 groups but the groups will have no one in them.

Nickel Super Contributor

It might depend what order you do the two exports.

Haven't tested, but I think if you export the groups first, and then the contacts, you should get the results you're looking for.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
BWS
Tuned Listener

Thank you, but I have already tried that (multiple times and in different configurations) and it doesn't work.