Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to compress ADF files. Very large data file.

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to compress ADF files. Very large data file.

[ Edited ]

Hi All

I have 30 user, ACT! Pre v17.1.169.0 HF4 using SQL 2008 on a Windows 2008 Server and 7 remote users.

despite the SQL limit being 10 Gig my ADF file is currently 11,940,416 KB and the ALF file is 3,616 KB.  This appears to be causing problems when Sync'ing.

The database has 25,000 contacts and 15,500 companies.  I have cleared history/notes up to 2 years ago.  If I run a re-index via ACTDiag this does not reduce the size of the database.  Also I have run check & repair from within ACT!

How should I compress the database?

All advise greatly appreciated.

Best regards

David

M: 07879 247112

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author David Hunter
‎09-01-2016 06:23 AM
Administrator

Re: How to compress ADF files. Very large data file.

[ Edited ]

Hi David,

In this case, I would have to suggest calling our support line and speaking to a technician to perform more troubleshooting steps and gather further environmental info. The UK phone number to call is 0845 268 0220.
As Ingo has said, it's quite hard to understand why the database is actually this size without taking a look at it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Hi David,

The database ADF file should not be this large from the figures you have stated.

I would suggest saving a copy of the database by clicking on File > Save Copy As, and checking how big the resulting ADF file is.

If this copy is also very large, then creating a blank copy of the database an importing the existing data into it would be another suggestions.
The following Knowledgebase article details this process: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14010
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you Gary

I had made a copy database and this came out as the same size.

I thought about a blank database then importing the original but was worried that I would lose the 'User' info (I have seen in the KB article you sent how I can manage users).  More importantly though I was worried that I would lose the sync link (therefore work) for the remote users who have not been able to sync.

I was hoping to be able to compress the database, fix the sync then make a new copy. 

is there anyway to compress the current database?

thanks again

david

Administrator

Hi David,

There is no way to compress an Act database that is in use.

Are you using SQL Express or Standard? If you're not sure, check the server information details ActDiag.

SQL Standard does not have a database size limit. SQL Express has a limit of 10GB.

The Knowledgebase article on removing old data also covers removing old cleared activities. Have you tried also removing these? http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14168

What are the actual problems you're currently experiencing with the sync?

Copper Contributor

Thanks again.

I have cleared old activities and re-index but this did not reduce the database size.  (even allowing for the fact that I had removed 1/3rd of the history from the database in several smaller sessions)

We have SQL 2008 Express, which is why I am confused that the master ADF file is currently 11,940,416 KB and the ALF file is 3,616 KB.

When remote users sync we get an error:

• Sync failed due to out of memory error on server,
    System out of memory

The server has 32Gig RAM, C: has 30Gig free, whilst the database is held on D: with 400Gig free.  I have stopped and started the SQL (ACT7) services and rebooted the server several times to clear memory.

regards

david

Administrator

Hi David,

Using ActDiag, please could you confirm the size of the database as shown in the Database List?

ActDiag_2016-09-01_12-08-33.png

Copper Contributor

Please see below.

GTAccessContacts        is the main database

BlankCopy for Import     is the database I have tested importing into (only contacts/companies so far)

TestRebuild                    is the Copy database.

ACTDiag.png

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi David,

without looking at the database everybody can probably only guess... but there is one thing, that will expand the size of your database, if you did store data like Pictures, or Memo fields in the database, as attached documents do not count for the size.

regards

Ingo

ACC since 1995
Developer of Addons for ACT

CrmAddon Factory
+1 203 541 0040
Copper Contributor

Hi

We do not use pictures and have only one Memo field which has hardly been used.

thanks

david

Solution
Accepted by topic author David Hunter
‎09-01-2016 06:23 AM
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi David,

In this case, I would have to suggest calling our support line and speaking to a technician to perform more troubleshooting steps and gather further environmental info. The UK phone number to call is 0845 268 0220.
As Ingo has said, it's quite hard to understand why the database is actually this size without taking a look at it.