Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to change the default browser and the default map in ACT 8.0 Premium

How to change the default browser and the default map in ACT 8.0 Premium

Does anyone know how to change the default browser and the default map application on ACT 8.0.  The defaults are set to IE and mapquest on my ACT, and I want to change them to Firefox and Google Maps   Thank you

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How to change the default browser and the default map in ACT 8.0 Premium

[ Edited ]
Unfortunately, in ACT! 2006 (8.x) there is not a way to set these defaults as they are controlled by plug-ins. However, in the latest build of ACT! 2009 (11.1), the default mapping site has been changed to Google instead of MapQuest due to MapQuest's inability to map international addresses.
Message Edited by ghollister on 04-20-2009 11:42 AM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

JM
Nickel Contributor

I like how Sage switched to Google for Maps, but I have notice recently I think after IE 7.0 updated to 8.0.6 random problems with browser. After it pulled up the map the browser screen layout is shifted to the left about 2 inches so you miss part of the info like the display of Google maps [__up to little cut off of the address window bar. Refreash most of the time fails to correct only if I copy from IE URL window the http:/.. string and paste into a new IE browser and hit enter than it looks fine.

I don't know if related but for Contact Detail I put the Internet Links button on the customize menu bar so I could just click on it than select Maps.. or Driving Directions.. Looking at Customize Menus and Toolbars, Commands Tab, select View, scroll down and I have duplicate Maps, Driving Dir., Yahoo items.  I think it duplicates them everytime I close ACT and re-open it.  I can go back to customize menus by selecting the Internet Links button and remove the duplicates with a right click on each one than delete until all are gone. But them jsut start growing again.

One other thing I think before IE 8.0 upgrade ACT 11.1 (not with hotfix) was opening Firefox instead of IE (which I prefer) but I tried to force it to Firefox in all Vista (SP3) and Browser controll settings no luck.

I've already tried the ACTDIAG rest Pref. and even did the long hard work Save Empty Copy of DB and import from source to new DB.  I really hate to reinstall ACT it never seems to help with past problems and I may need to do a clean re-install of Vista home Prem.

Thanks,

JM

Copper Super Contributor

I wanted to bring this topic back to life

Everything in Act! defaults to IE (which i dont use due to the problems and 30+ min delay it takes to open) I have my default browser setting to Chrome but this appears to have no effect on Act!

Have i missed something here? 

I use ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1 

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Jason,

Currently, there is not a method to use your own default browser through ACT!. ACT! is coded to use IE as its default browser, and IE is the internal browser used under the Web Info tab. If you would like to request a feature to support other browsers through ACT!, please post your request on the Share Your Ideas board in this forum.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I have ACT 2009 (11.0)  is there any way to change the default mapping module to Google from Mapquest yet?

JM
Nickel Contributor

You need ACT! 2010 because they hard coded the exchange of ACT record field data into the Maps.google.com URL string.

If you have not seen the use of Web Info tab check this out.

http://www.yourcrmhero.com/blog/bid/41697/Using-and-Extending-the-Web-Info-Tab-in-ACT-2010

JM

Astute Commentator

We are to loose potential customer due to the lack of supporting other browsers than the IE (even it" v.11 has also some malfunctions) It's high time to keep sync for browsers that support both Act! f Windows and Act! f WEB versions!!! 

Oszkár

Hello,

Has this been fixed?  Am I able to set Firefox as the default browser yet?

Administrator

Hi Rhona,

The desktop Act! application uses Internet Explorer to open links outside of Act! This cannot currently be changed.

There is an open idea in our Share Your Ideas board that suggests a feature to change this default setting. You can give the idea kudos to increase it's likelihood of being implemented in the future.