Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to change a field's contents globally????

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

How to change a field's contents globally????

One of our staff was once shown how to, for instance, open a dialog box that would allow all the contents of a certain field (sales person) for a subset (certain state) to be changed to contain the correct salesperson's name, globally across the entire database. We need to apply that procedure the same way, with and without the subset. Will appreciate any clues!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author DianaJ
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: How to change a field's contents globally????

Hi Diana,

You are correct, you are working in different databases.   Did you setup the databases or was that done prior to you arriving?

Since your database says MasterDB, i would assume yours is the Publisher database with which the other databases would sync to.  On Russ' computer, can you go to Tools | Synchronize | Synchronize Now? 

I would expect one of two things. 1. He is a remote user that needs to sync to the Master DB, or 2. He is a totally separate database not linked to the MasterDB

If #1 is true, then he can sync, and the data will merge between the two databases

If #2 is true, then you would need to merge the data via an export or import

Michael Kadlub
Act! Support Manager
Keystroke Quality Computing Inc.
800-857-0558, x.310
MichaelK@kqc.ca
www.keystroke.ca

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nickel Elite Contributor

Hi Diana,

Prior to doing this global change, we suggest doing a backup in case you accidentally change something you did not want to.

After doing a backup, you would lookup your contacts that you want to change.  Once you have your lookup in place, you would go to Edit | Replace Field.  In the Replace Contents drop down, select the field you want to change.  In the Value field, enter the new data you want to appear in the field.   Click OK, and you will be prompted if you are sure.    Click Yes, and the entire lookup will now have the new data in the field you selected.

I hope this helps.

Michael

Michael Kadlub
Act! Support Manager
800-857-0558, x.310
MichaelK@kqc.ca
www.keystroke.ca

Michael,

Thanks for that solution - it seemed to work, but has opened up a whole new can of worms. Apparently we don't understand how ACT! works at all in our office.

Red flag #1: When I open up ACT, I am looking at MasterDB. When my colleague opens it on his computers, he is looking at a database that is named with just his first name, Russ.

#2: When I follow your instructions and replace the contents of a field, he doesn't see the result in Russ.

#3: I can't see the result either, because when I do a lookup, I can't view the field that I changed in MasterDB.

#4: when I try to do Tools > Synchronize, Synchronize Now is not available (grayed out) to me, but Accept Incoming Syncs is available.

#5: When Russ does Tools > Scan for duplicates, he gets a whole different list of duplicates than I do.

It's asking a lot of you, but do you see where our main problem lies in two DB's that don't appear to be connected, when all this time we were thinking we were all working with the same DB?  If this is more than you want to tackle, where should we begin?

Thank you!

Diana

Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello Diana,
Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. If Russ, goes to Tools > Synchronize > Synchronize Now, can he sync? The only way you can sync the data is if MasterDB is a Publisher database and Russ's database is a remote database created from MasterDB.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Solution
Accepted by topic author DianaJ
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Hi Diana,

You are correct, you are working in different databases.   Did you setup the databases or was that done prior to you arriving?

Since your database says MasterDB, i would assume yours is the Publisher database with which the other databases would sync to.  On Russ' computer, can you go to Tools | Synchronize | Synchronize Now? 

I would expect one of two things. 1. He is a remote user that needs to sync to the Master DB, or 2. He is a totally separate database not linked to the MasterDB

If #1 is true, then he can sync, and the data will merge between the two databases

If #2 is true, then you would need to merge the data via an export or import

Michael Kadlub
Act! Support Manager
800-857-0558, x.310
MichaelK@kqc.ca
www.keystroke.ca

Guys,

I think we are okay, because the next day Russ could view my changes and all three of us show the same number of contacts after the two sales people synchronized. For me, working on MasterDB, I don't have Synchronize Now available to me on the Synchronize menu (it's grayed out). Is that the way it should be? I did put a check next to Accept Incoming Syncs, which probably also helped.

Thank you very much for your quick help on this!

Diana

Platinum Super Contributor

That is correct - the 'Synchronize Now' option will not be available on the master database.  Syncs have to initiated from the remote database(s).

Greg Martin
Sage