Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to backup and use ADF on 2 computers?

How to backup and use ADF on 2 computers?

[ Edited ]

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your support.  Sorry to bother you again but I have 2 more questions:

1.  How can I backup my existing ADF file?

2.  I have 2 computers.  My old computer is now using Premium 2011.  Now I have a new computer and they share the same network.  However, in my new computer network connection, I cannot find the ADF file in the Old computer machine Act folder; while the rest of the files are there.  I just want to open the old ADF file into my new computer.  Could you please advice how I should do it in order to use the same ADF file in 2 computers?

Thanks,

Stefan

[edit: updated Subject to match question]

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: How to backup and use ADF on 2 computers?

- Since you have the database up and running, we recommend using the File > Backup > Database option within the Sage ACT! program, to make backups.

- Once a database has been opened with the ADF, a new PAD file is created.  The PAD file is the file you will use to access a database from another workstation.

If you want to physically place a copy of the database onto the new computer (independent of the original database), use the Backup option.  Then on the new computer, use File > Restore > Database > Restore As.

If you want to share the database across the network, use the instructions in this article: KB Article 13878

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

While I have opened the ADF file in my old PC, I tried to open the PAD file over the network connection in my new PC (The PAD file was put in my old PC seperate C Drive folder), and I also shared all the files and disable all the firewalls.  However, I cannot open the PAD file and the following statement appears:

"Cannot find database supplemental files folder main2-database files in this location STEFAN-PC.  This could be problem with the share, or the folder may not exist.  Please contact the administrator of your database."

Could you please help me?

Thanks,

Stefan

Platinum Super Contributor

Have a look at this article: KB Article 19876

Greg Martin
Sage