Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to add a new item to an existing drop-down list?

Copper Contributor

How to add a new item to an existing drop-down list?

Hi,

For some drop-down lists in ACT, there is an 'edit list values' option at the foot of the list. If I click this, then I can quickly and easily add a new item to the drop-down list.

But what if a list does not have an 'edit list values' option? How do I then add new items to such a list?

I guess it's via the Tools > Define fields route?

I guess what I'm really looking for is how to find the 'Edit List 'dialog box, but by another route.

Thanks.

Grant.

Re: How to add a new item to an existing drop-down list?

[ Edited ]

Hi Grant,

There is a value that you can add to a drop-down list 'Allow users to edit items in this list' and will be ticked or unticked per down-down.

You can find it from 'Tools > Define Fields > (on the left) Manage Drop-down lists' from here you can change the drop-down list settings and the data that it has within it.

22850 How to Create and Manage a Drop-Down List in ACT!

Copper Contributor

Hi There,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I was thinking about that option, as it lets me quickly add new items to a list.

But what if I don't want anyone else to be able to add new items to a list?

I thought that there might be an alternative way of doing the same talk that was just (or almost) as quick, and which also protects the database from other users doing what they like?

Of course, I can always change it back again after doing the change! (<:

Grant.

The option to edit the list values is one the quickest ways to make changes to the list, however it will allow other users to make the same changes.

The alternative way would be from 'Tools > Define Fields > Manage drop-down lists' find the drop-down you are looking to edit and either double click or 'Edit Drop-down list' and make the changes on page 2.

Copper Contributor

Hi Dan,

Thanks for letting me know about that alternative method for this task - much appreciated.

And apologies for the delay in replying to you.

Best regards,
Grant.

Bronze Elite Contributor

I have often thought that it would make sense to have an option of the dropdown boxes only being editable by the administrator without the need to go into define fields. Is it worth asking for this as a feature?

Copper Contributor

Hi There,

That seems a very good suggestion.

My workaround is to change it temporarily so that I can quickly make the change, and then change it back again afterwards so that nobody else can start adding new items.

Am just trying to think of any flaws in this suggestion - maybe somebody will flag up a potential problem with this idea (<:

G.

I do think it would be a helpful option for administrators to have. I would recommend posting to our Share your Ideas forum and posting a link here so others may see it if they search for the same idea and could vote for it.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Thanks Dan

added here for voting as new feature - lease vote if you like

https://community.act.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas/Drop-Down-access-for-Administrators/idi-p/342341