Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to add Notes to multiple contacts

Accepted Solution Solved
dmf
Accepted Solution

How to add Notes to multiple contacts

I am in the trial of ACT Premium Cloud, working on Google Chrome on a MAC. Trying to figure out how to add a Note to multiple contacts in a Lookup, rather than adding the notes one by one. 

I've found past questions similar to this where it states to Add a Note, Click Contacts, Select From Current Lookup, and then select the arrow buttons to move over the contacts in the Selected column. That process works until I select the arrow to move them over. Only one contact moves over (whichever one I happen to have clicked on in the list prior to doing this function). So when I add the Note, only 1 contact gets updated. 

Does this function no longer exist? My goal is to track some direct mail marketing I am doing, and I want a simple way to update 100+ contacts at once that I dropped a piece in the mail to them on a certain day. I figured Notes was the easiest way to go back at some point to see what mailers a contact had received in the past from me, plus use this so I don't duplicate mailers to the same clients in the future. 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author dmf
‎03-18-2018 09:31 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: How to add Notes to multiple contacts

Hi dmf,

You should be using History not Notes.

Highlight the Contacts in the List view.

Choose New History from the Contacts menu.

Create whatever History type from this window.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author dmf
‎03-18-2018 09:31 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi dmf,

You should be using History not Notes.

Highlight the Contacts in the List view.

Choose New History from the Contacts menu.

Create whatever History type from this window.

HTH

David Shaw
dmf

That seems to work perfectly and is exactly what I need! However, even though I highlight the entire list from my lookup, once I click on History it still only shows the first Contact as being checked off to be updated. However, if I click Contacts, and choose Current Lookup, at the bottom I can use the arrows to move over everyone that I want included. And they all were updated perfectly. Thank you!

But now shouldn't the process work exactly the same for adding a NOTE as it is for HISTORY? It seems that when I get to that part using the arrows to move names over to the Selected column, is what is not working properly for the NOTE. Seems strange no?

Bronze Elite Contributor

Glad this has helped.

I'm not sure why Notes aren't working the same as History.

However many millions of Act! users mistakenly use Notes and not History without realising that you can't analyse Notes as you can Histories.

As a long-time Act! consultant, I have shown many users this and they've appreciated why History is best 99% of the time.

Notes are best used to record (typically) generic details about a Contact rather than 'historic events'.

David Shaw