Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to access my Act database from Crystal Reports

Astute Commentator

How to access my Act database from Crystal Reports

Hi Folks.

I thought that ActReader would install an ODBC driver to access my Act database, but it doen't seem to have done so.  When I run ActReader, it just asks me to input a new password. ??

What I am trying to do is to access my Act database from Crystal Reports.  What is my missing component? 

Thanks.

Silver Contributor

Re: How to access my Act database from Crystal Reports

Try using the OLDDB Provider 2.

Here is a short video on connecting ACT to Crystal Reports. Let me know if you have further questions.

http://www.acttrainer.com/connecting-act-to-crystal-reports/

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

The ODBC access is already there. ActReader just sets the password for the read-only account which is randomised by default
Astute Commentator

Jon and Mike,

Using your two replies as a starting point I created a new Crystal report and gained access to the schema.  However, after I had designed the report I found that I could not access the data.  There were two obstacles and I was not ever cofident that I had overcome either one.  Firstly, I was asked for a username and password and couldn't get any of the possible repsonses to be accepted, but then I seemed to get past that and started getting an error message about an ID that couldn't be converted to string.

Anyway, I tried building a new data source using SQL Native Client and I entered the username Actreader with the password that I had set.  That worked as expected, so I thought I'd share that with you.

Thanks for your help.  It certainly got me on the right road.