Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to Sync 2 Upgrade Users

Tuned Listener

How to Sync 2 Upgrade Users

We are upgrading 2 computers from ACT 6 to ACT Premium.  I read the instructions about how to setup a new sync and creating a new remote databases. However I cannot find any instructions on how to set up a sync if 2 or more users who already have existing data.  So for example, the first computer has our existing main database which has 5,000 contacts with history. And the second computer has only 1,000 existing contacts with history (data is only a portion of main database and is based on the region the person is covering).   

According to the instructions I have read, the first computer with the main database should now send a remote database sync set to the second computer.   So now the second computer will again have the 1,000 contacts BUT here is the question -  how can the second computer get his existing ACT history (notes, activities, etc) which are in his old database??  This is all the work he did between the last time he did a sync in Version 6 and the upgrade?  I figure the only way to do is would be to sync somehow the remote database with the main database and then send a new sync set to the second computer.  

Does anyone know how to do this??  A step-by-step would be great!
Silver Contributor

Re: How to Sync 2 Upgrade Users

[ Edited ]

Thre are three different sets of steps you need to follow.

1) Merge the two databases into a single database (a new Master Database). This is usually best done in ACT 6.0.  Then convert the ACT 6.0 database to ACT 2010. Now you have a good ACT 2010 Master.

Then create your remotes and deploy.

There are a lot of steps here, so if it's overwelming, consider a ACT Certified Consultant.

1) Merge 2 ACT 6 databases together

KB 12268

2) Convert to aCT 2010 - How to Convert an ACT! 3.x, 4.x, 5.x (2000) or 6.x (2004) Database to ACT! by Sage 2010

KB 25175

3) Setup and Configure Sync - How to Setup Internet Synchronization in ACT!

KB 21838

[Edit: shortened hyperlinks for easier readability]

Message Edited by ghollister on 02-16-2010 11:19 AM
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

Tuned Listener

Thanks for your answers.  However, the problem is that one computer (the main database) has already upgraded and done lots of work with contacts and the second computer still has ACT 6 but has done lots of work on his contacts but is about to upgrade.  Hence now the problem with two different databases on two computers and with two versions of ACT which need to sync.

Silver Contributor

That is still your only option. You can't just sync any two databases.  You must merge them.Mike, I'm aware of that. was attempting to offer a Kb on sync not an exhaustive reference on the subject.  Thanks for clarifying. 
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Once both databases are converted to ACT! 2010, then they need to be merged on the main system and a remove created with ACT! 2010

Tuned Listener

Thanks guys.  So what happens to the history and notes when you merge 2 databases.  Are they also merged or do you wind up having to separate records for the same conatct with different history, notes and activities??

If you follow the instructions, they should be merged...

Make sure you backup first in case you accidently delect the wrong options

Tuned Listener

So if I merge the two databases what will happen to all the alarms and activities in the database on the second computer?  And after the merge should the database on the second computer be retained or erased??   If it is to be erased and a new sync sent to it from the first computer with the main database then all the alams and activites wll be erased.  This is not clear to me and the documentation says nothing about it.

The activities and alarms are connected to the user.

You would create the 2nd user in the main database and log in as that user when importing the 2nd database.