Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do you insert hyperlink with fields in an email?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

How do you insert hyperlink with fields in an email?

I can get a standard hyperlink with fields to work by just letting the end users document processor format it. However, if I use insert hyperlink with a field, it just reads the link as plain text

eg if I put click here on the email template linking to an address with, say, a field called 'priority' within it will just show just the text priority along with the rest of the link.

If I use ALT F9 in word and copy the field code into the insert hyperlink code it just hangs the mail merge when it runs. 

I've had a scout around and seen the question asked, but unfortunately no reply

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author zaphod711
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: How do you insert hyperlink with fields in an email?

Yes I have done this.

The mail merge still uses the word processor template, but does not display the output in the word processor. 

Word Processor is set to Word

Email Editor is Outlook

Add <a href="google.com">Here</a> to Address 1

Write email from template > Select Letter.adt

Evaluate the results

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

I am able to merge a url with the field type URL address to an email template. In Tools > Define fields ensure that the field type is set to URL address..

Thanks for responding so quickly, Benjamin.

I think we may be talking about different things, though. I can see how that works on a standard print/view a URL in word/outlook. However, where I am having trouble is in the hyperlinking on say, a word/phrase, in the document, such as "click HERE form my homepage" and then the user clicks on the 'here' part to go to, say, www.myhomepage.com.

if I use for example,

{hyperlink "{DOCVARIABLE [ACTFIELD]TBL_CONTACT.CONTACTWEBADDRESS \* MERGEFORMAT}"}

it freezes the merge.

If I use Ctrl K in word for insert hyperlink I can't use any fields at all

I hope that makes a bit more sense

Bronze Elite Contributor

I haven't done any testing with mail merge fields embedded in Word code like that but I can accomplish the same by using a character field with data such as <a href="google.com">Here</a>.

It means data entry has to be consistent and a little more complicated, but you can set the default value to be  <a href="ADD WEB ADDRESS HERE">Here</a>.

Benjamin,

Thanks again for the reply.

I was only embedding in word because  I didn't know you could use html templates!  I don't see that option on write - new  letter/email temmplate to use html. when I use it I get the option of straight to word or the act word processor. How do you get the html option?

So once I achieve this, you think I can just <a href="google.com/<CONTACTPAGE>/">Here</a> and it will parse in the field? That will be a huge relief if thats the case!

Bronze Elite Contributor

While you can't use HTML templates natively in Act you can put some HTML code in a field and have it output like you'd expect.

If, for instance, in Address 1 field you put  <a href="google.com">Here</a> (the whole string) when you output the mail merge to email it will be an active link. If outputing to word processor it looks like code. It's the email client that translates that. 

There are addons that will allow you to create HTML templates and many of them offer a free trial or demo to see if they meet your needs. I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for.  

Thanks for keeping with this Benjamin.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. I understand I could put <a href="google.com...... in a field, but surely that will comes out as literally <a href....on the document. Unless there is a way you can precede it with insert html snippet in either word or act processor so it transalates the html?

Using your example Address 1 field you put  <a href="google.com">Here</a> (the whole string)  just comes oput literally as  <a href="google.com">Here</a> not  here and a link.

Bronze Elite Contributor

That is true when your output is to Word, but not if the output is to email.

Benjamin, I tried what you suggested.

What I am unclear on is how can you get the output to email without the mailmerge either going through either word or act word processor?

If you use either you will just get ahref..... coming out.

If I'm missing something please could you tell me explicitly how you would go about this?

Have you actually done this? 

Solution
Accepted by topic author zaphod711
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Yes I have done this.

The mail merge still uses the word processor template, but does not display the output in the word processor. 

Word Processor is set to Word

Email Editor is Outlook

Add <a href="google.com">Here</a> to Address 1

Write email from template > Select Letter.adt

Evaluate the results