Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do you import a list of companies with the divisions falling under the parent company?

Tuned Listener

How do you import a list of companies with the divisions falling under the parent company?

We are running ACT by Sage Premium 2009 and are about to receive a 16,000 contact list to merge into our existing database. 

Companies are organized first by Company and then each location is created as a Division of the company.  For example:

Company: ABC Company

Division:    ABC Company - Wilmington, NC 

Division:    ABC Company - Plymouth, MA 

All address information and contacts are linked at the division level.

Is there a way to import a list of companies from a tab delimited text file and flag a division level company record as a subgroup of a company?  The goal is to load all the companies one time, and the divisions fall under their appropriate parent company.

I ran a test import with a tab delimited file and all the companies appear at the same parent level.  I adjusted the "HasSubGroups" and "Hierarchy Level" fields but it did not make a difference.  Is there another field that matches the company and division data points?

Re: How do you import a list of companies with the divisions falling under the parent company?

Unfortunately there isn't a way to import divisions from a csv file.  There are addon products that will give you this feature. 

www.act.com/addons

www.actaddons.com

If you would like to see this feature in a future version, feel free to post your request in the Share Your Ideas forum.

Thanks,

Tuned Listener

Re: How do you import a list of companies with the divisions falling under the parent company?

I was afraid of the "you need to purchase an addon" response.

Can anyone make a recommendation on addon products that would work for our needs?