Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I transfer / move contacts from one database to another?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

How do I transfer / move contacts from one database to another?

I am very familiar with ACT 2.0, which I have been using since it came out in the mid-1990s. 

I recently installed ACT 10, with a 5-user license, on my office server and my employees' computers.   I have 3,500 contacts in my main database.

How do I "transfer" or "copy" or "move" ten, twenty, or fifty contacts from one database to another? Tools - Copy/Move Contact Data does not appear to be the  correct command, and only handles 2 contacts at a time.

In Act 2.0, it was called "transferring." You selected the contacts by a query or lookup, transferred/copied them to another database, and then the program asked if you would like to delete the contacts just transferred: yes or no. 

It should be a simple procedure, but I can't find the correct terms in the help section.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author NARMontana
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How do I transfer / move contacts from one database to another?

Transferring records was actually just an export of a lookup and wasn't carried over into ACT! 3 and later. The same functtion can be done by simply creating a lookup and then exporting the lookup to the other database. You will have to confirm the field mapping. Because the ACT! 2 database couldn't be modified, all ACT! 2 databases were the same.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author NARMontana
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Transferring records was actually just an export of a lookup and wasn't carried over into ACT! 3 and later. The same functtion can be done by simply creating a lookup and then exporting the lookup to the other database. You will have to confirm the field mapping. Because the ACT! 2 database couldn't be modified, all ACT! 2 databases were the same.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Roy

Thanks for the explanation! It's very helpful!

DL

Your solution did not work for me any suggestions?