Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I transfer / move contacts from one database to another?

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

How do I transfer / move contacts from one database to another?

I am very familiar with ACT 2.0, which I have been using since it came out in the mid-1990s. 

I recently installed ACT 10, with a 5-user license, on my office server and my employees' computers.   I have 3,500 contacts in my main database.

How do I "transfer" or "copy" or "move" ten, twenty, or fifty contacts from one database to another? Tools - Copy/Move Contact Data does not appear to be the  correct command, and only handles 2 contacts at a time.

In Act 2.0, it was called "transferring." You selected the contacts by a query or lookup, transferred/copied them to another database, and then the program asked if you would like to delete the contacts just transferred: yes or no. 

It should be a simple procedure, but I can't find the correct terms in the help section.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author NARMontana
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How do I transfer / move contacts from one database to another?

Transferring records was actually just an export of a lookup and wasn't carried over into ACT! 3 and later. The same functtion can be done by simply creating a lookup and then exporting the lookup to the other database. You will have to confirm the field mapping. Because the ACT! 2 database couldn't be modified, all ACT! 2 databases were the same.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author NARMontana
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Transferring records was actually just an export of a lookup and wasn't carried over into ACT! 3 and later. The same functtion can be done by simply creating a lookup and then exporting the lookup to the other database. You will have to confirm the field mapping. Because the ACT! 2 database couldn't be modified, all ACT! 2 databases were the same.
Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
Highlighted

Roy

Thanks for the explanation! It's very helpful!

Highlighted

Your solution did not work for me any suggestions?