Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I reinstall future appointments that were deleted?

How do I reinstall future appointments that were deleted?

I need to reinstall future appointments for 1 employee (not all users) that were deleted by mistake. The backup (zip file) is several months old - each week I backup the hard drive files to an external drive. How would I complete this? Thank you.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How do I reinstall future appointments that were deleted?

What you want to do might be possible with a third party utility but would involve significant manipulation. However, unless you stopped the SQL server before backing up your hard drive chances are you don't have a backup of your database anyway because a simple copy won't copy open files and the ACT! database files would be open whether ACT! was open or closed.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

What would be the process to use my old backup file - it would have most of the future appointments and would help my employee get back on track? Thank you.

As I noted you would need a third party utility like OakMerge, you can't do it with the ACT! import.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Super Contributor

As Roy states, you'd need a 3rd party tool to efficiently import activities from a backup copy. If you want to open a backup copy as a reference copy (not overwrite the original database) - you'll first need to see if the necessary files were backed up. You'll need the 'databasename.ADF' and 'databasename.ALF' files.

If you can retrieve these 2 files and then rename them, for example add 'Recover' to the the filenames ('Recoverdatabasename.ADF', and 'Recoverdatabasename.ALF'). Then open this database using the ADF file (it will create a PAD file for later use). You would then be able to use this as a reference for activities. Possibly run an activities report so they can be entered into the main database...

And as Roy also mentioned, this would only be available if the backup process was able to access the database files.
Greg Martin
Sage

I found the backup zip file containing a *.bak file - how do I open that to simply look at or print out my missing data? Thank you.

That sounds like an ACT! backup file so what you need to do is in the ACT! program go to File | Restore and choose Restore As that will allow you to restore the database with a different name.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129