Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I install a remote database on a second computer for the same user without using a second serial #?

Copper Elite Contributor

How do I install a remote database on a second computer for the same user without using a second serial #?

My ACT:  Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 4.

We have 4 users. One user has a desktop and a laptop. She is going on a trip and needs ACT to be on both her laptop and her desktop. Short of using one of my other serial #'s, how do I install another remote on her laptop. That is possible, right? And both will sync just fine regardless of which computer she is working on?  I don't have to use one of my other licenses, do I?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: How do I install a remote database on a second computer for the same user without using a second serial #?

While serial numbers are used to register the installations, they are specifically assigned to usernames. So, unless you are creating a new username, you can use the same serial number for both installations.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: How do I install a remote database on a second computer for the same user without using a second serial #?

Thanks, Greg!  And the only way to create the RD is to do it at the server and download it to the laptop client, right?  Or, is it possible to somehow copy the one on her desktop an move it to the laptop?  I only ask because our RD files are now almost 5GB and take over 16 hours to transfer from the server down to the client. If I could somehow create it from the desktop and move it over, that would be much more efficient.

Silver Contributor

The database needs to be created from the server from the master database. So somehow, it has to start from the Server where the master is.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Elite Contributor

Okay. Will do. Any idea why this site will not allow me to log in without changing my password everytime? It is such a pain. It's always been like that.

Copper Elite Contributor

tbudde, so sorry to hear you're having issues with login -- we definitely want to resolve that for you. I'll send you a private message with some specific questions to help troubleshoot. You can access your private messages by clicking on the small envelope icon located just under the search area at the top of the community.

Thanks,

Tawny