Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I figure out when contacts were added to a Group?

How do I figure out when contacts were added to a Group?

I have an RSVP list for an upcoming event which, somehow, all of the contacts in my database (13k of them) got added to sometime this morning.  It previously was about 20-25 contacts in the group.

Is there any way to figure out when contacts were added to a group?  Or, failing that, is there any way to make it so that does become a tracked history item so I can have a fix for this type of accident in the future?

Thanks,

Greg

Re: How do I figure out when contacts were added to a Group?

Nevermind.  I restored a backup of the database from yesterday, exported the list from the group, and used it to recreate a new version of the group in the current database.  Problem solved.  (Though it would still be nice if anybody has a suggestion on the "how to track when contacts are added to a group" thing.)
Silver Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok, I'll take a crack at this. To my knowlege, there is no [Edit: corrected to be more accurate] user accessable record of the data a contact is added to a group.  However, ACT has 2 types of groups, static and dynamic. You are using static (the legacy type from ACT 6.0). Bascially you add someone to a group and they just stay there until you take them out. IN ACT 2010, this type of group is good for people you met at a trade show, company holiday card lists and others that you don't expect to change.

Another way to solve this problem would be to use dynamic groups along with a contact level field with a multi select drop down (Like the ID/Status field).  This field can be made to create a history when it is changed (through toold, define fields). Then a group can be made that is populated through the value in this field. Then you will get your history, throught the field changed history and you will have your group.

THere are many more benefits to doing it through dynamic groups rather than static.  Give it a try!

Message Edited by ghollister on 04-29-2010 11:34 AM
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Not really an answer to my question, and I already know the difference between static and dynamic groups and how to use them.  Thanks for offering some help, though, even if it wasn't quite what I was looking for.  Though your idea of making a field and tracking that and using it to create a dynamic group has some merit, I don't know quite how I'd implement that for this purpose.

Maybe if I made a field called "RSVP", made it a drop down list and allow the list to be edited by the user so that anytime there is a new event with RSVP they just add it to the list and create a dynamic group.  That's not a bad idea, now that I think about it more.  Something to experiment with anyhow.  Thanks.

Silver Contributor

Well I thought I was onto something. Even made a YouTube to demonstrate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBu3B2M17cU

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider