Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How do I Copy Contact ID/Status field to Company ID/Status field

How do I Copy Contact ID/Status field to Company ID/Status field

Hi,

My old Goldmine database has just been converted and imported ACT 2008 Premium V.10.  So far, so good.  Now I'm working on cleaning up the new database.  The Contact ID/Status is filled in and correct, however the Company ID/Status is blank.  How do I copy the Contact ID/Status to the Company ID/Status?  When I try the copy field function, it appears to pull up either only contact fields, or company fields, but not both.  Is there a way around this?

Thanks so much,

Kathy

Nickel Contributor

Re: How do I Copy Contact ID/Status field to Company ID/Status field

It is important to remember that ACT! is contact centrec.

The "Copy" function is intended to be used from one Contact Record to a list of other Contact Records that are selected by a lookup (which can also include all contacts). A company already represents a single description of multiple contacts, so you'd be better off creating the lookup of all records within that "company", and then use the "copy" function to ensure that each of those records have a single ID Status. Once that is complete, add this lookup to that newly created "company", and then fill in the company description as is appropriate.

The simplest way to think of it is, the "copy" function is intended to be used from one-to-many, and the "company" feature is intended to group many-to-one.

I hope this clarifies it somewhat.

Ken Quigley, BA, MCSE, ACC, APT
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

Hi Ken,

Thank you for your quick reply.  I'm new to ACT (though have used Goldmine for many years), so I may not have a clear picture of how to go about what your suggesting. I have about 1,500 companies or so, most with multiple contacts.  I can verify that the ID/Status on all linked contacts for each company is consistent.  I'm trying, though, to avoid having to edit each company's ID/Status manually, so am looking for an "automated" option.  

I was assuming a "copy field" option might be available, but perhaps not since it's crossing from "Contact" to "Company".  Are there any CSV file import options?  For example, if I have a .csv file with the company name in one column, and what should be the company's ID/Status in the other column, is there any way that can be imported to the appropriate existing Company records?   Any cool 3rd party products/macros that handle this sort of thing, or, is this a task for a data conversion expert?

Thanks so much,

Kathy

Nickel Contributor

Hi Kathy,

Your follow-up question is excellent as it reminded me of a way around the issue of having to manually create 1500+ Companies within your database, with detailed information in each.

After you complete the "Contact" import, prepare a second CSV file for strictly a "Company" import into your ACT database. Obviously this second CSV will be limited to only the 1500+ companies, and not contain any specific user information. When you run the import in ACT, select the "Company" import option at the beginning, and then complete the appropriate field mapping. Allt he address and ID Status will populate instantly.

That's the good news.

The bad news is the time you saved typing all these companies into ACT (along with the detailed company info) will need to be used for populating these "companies". If you use dynamic queries for each company it will speed up the process significantly, but you'll still have to create 1500+ queries, so buy a comfortable chair.

Good luck.

Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your great answer, and I'm still planning how to go about this.  First of all, all of the companies are already in the database, and all of the contacts are linked to their respective companies.  Is there some sort of dynamic query macro that could lookup in a csv file for the info (key field would be company name) then populate all the companies with their respective status/id from the .csv file?   

Thanks,

Kathy

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Kathy,

I looked into this a bit, and could not find anything that specifically did what you requested, but I may have a lead for you.

There is a product called CompanyMaker (http://www.actaddons.com/products/2005/companymaker.asp), which is an ACT Addon available through ADS Programming.

Most ACC's are familiar with ADS, and they have an excellent reputation. Odds are you might be able to get some help from them directly if "Company Maker" doesn't work for you.

Good luck.

Message Edited by kquigley on 07-20-2008 05:40 PM
Toronto, Ontario
www.keystroke.ca

Hi Ken,

I was out of town for a few days, and didn't have my login info with me.  Anyway, thanks for the idea re ACT Addons.  Since the companies are already in the database, they might not be able to help me, but I'll check with them and see if it (or something else) might work.  I'll let you know if it does.

-Kathy

Hi Ken,

I wanted to follow-up, and let you know I finally found an add-on product that does what I need.  It's called Company Maker Pro from ADS Programming.  As explained to me:

it checks to see if the company record already exists, and if not, it creates that company record.  It then checks the list of fields that you've selected, and copies those fields to the company record - either the one that it found, or the one that it created. It should process all your fields in one pass, and be very time and cost efficient for you.  You can download it from www.adsprogramming.com/products.htm (I mean, how cool is that!).

I have not run it yet, but from the description, it does exactly what I was after.  In my case, all the companies are already there, it's just the selected fields (SIC code, etc.) that I need copied from the contact to the company record.  

I'm not sure if I should mark my post "solved" before I run Company Maker Pro, but it sure sounds like a winner to me.

-Kathy