Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How can I easily compare an Excel Spreadsheet with ACT?

How can I easily compare an Excel Spreadsheet with ACT?

I have an ACT premium database consisting of approximately 30,000 records and an Excel Spreadsheet containing over 2,000 records that need to be located and deleted from my ACT database.  How can I do this without manually locating each contact and deleting them?  I am new at ACT so please reply in laymans terms!  Thanks, Deb
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: How can I easily compare an Excel Spreadsheet with ACT?

Deb,

It would be best to get an ACT! Consultant to assist as they are familar with moving data in and out of ACT! which it will require to run the comparison of records. It isn't a task a new user would readily undertake if preservation of the data is important.   

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How can I easily compare an Excel Spreadsheet with ACT?

While I agree with Graeme that a consultant is the best way to go, if you have some fields you can use to match the records and want to risk it (make a backup first), here's one way.

• Add an extra column to the Excel spreadsheet and just fill it with the word "Delete" in every row
  • Export the Excel to a CSV file
  • Create a new char field in ACT!, called "Delete"
  • Follw the steps as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -
    http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1520...
    Note item 13 - set to Merge, which can update the new empty field you created with the word "Delete"
  • Lookup the new field for "Delete" and then delete the lookup after checking that the number of contacts matches the Excel
  • Remove the field if you want

If you made a mistake, you can always restore the backup to another name and marge back in the records you might need.