Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How can I copy data from multiple fields to NOTES for example?

HLP

How can I copy data from multiple fields to NOTES for example?

Hi Community,

I'm looking for a solution that will allow me to copy data from multiple fields into one of ACT's bottom tabs, hopefully the NOTES tab.

In the attached screen capture you'll see I collect EVENT DETAILS in the rightmost box. When a client has a NEW event, I would like to hit one button or a simple couple of clicks to bounce that information down to somewhere for archival. The notes area would be ideal for me.

Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

DB Fields.png

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How can I copy data from multiple fields to NOTES for example?

There isn't any way to copy field data to Notes, especially multiple fields to a note and maintain anything that would be useful because the field labels would not copy,

What you're describing is the need for a custom one-to-many database table. The ACT! database supports custom tables but the program doesn't provide a user interface to create and manage the custom tables, For a situation similar to your's, I recently setup a custom table for a magazine publisher for scheduling advertising in future issues. The custom table allowed scheduling ads for future while keeping a reference history for each advertiser.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

Perhaps simply customize an Act! Opportunity to provide the many to one capability. One or more Events able to be associated with the contact.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

I agree, in some cases that can be made to work. But in my experience, if you depart very far from the ACT! opportunity itself, you start running into problems working around things imposed by the ACT! program. In most cases I find the custom tables (I use the Durkin Impact Suite) to be cleaner and easier to design rather than trying to rework the ACT! opportunities. Either way you're forced into a third party report editor to be able to create meaningful reports.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think its helpful to lead with a pointer to the inherent flexibility that Act! Opportunities offers, out-of-the-box. Sometimes the obvious works just fine and hopefully to the correspondent's delight in discovering such, without need to spend on additional products and services. It does the product a service without recourse to an add-on.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog