Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How To remove Old Data from your ACT Database ( did not reduce or free up any disk space !)

How To remove Old Data from your ACT Database ( did not reduce or free up any disk space !)

Hi All

I am new to Act , However i ran the procedure as per Knowledge base removing attachments older than 200 days , procedure ran ok claiming to have remove x amount of items , this i know it did as the users see less attachments than before

However no disk space was freed up by this procedure , also when i browse the network folders Act /Database/Attachments , the attachments are all still

present

i need to control the growth of this database , we do not have a bottomless pit of disk space , i would of though that this procedure should free up

disk space or is there something else i have to run

so the question really is How do i free up disk space  from this database ?

Re: How To remove Old Data from your ACT Database ( did not reduce or free up any disk space !)

Which KB article were you following to remove old attachments?

Re: How To remove Old Data from your ACT Database ( did not reduce or free up any disk space !)

I'm very curious about this too. I deleted 4,000+ entries this last week, and the database just keeps getting bigger.

Good Afternoon

I asked ACT Tech support about his and they tested and agreed with me  it appears from the user point of view that the items are no longer visable

and that the database folder on the server still contained the Attachments

they tested this in version 2009 and it did remove  the files from the database , so i choose to manually remove the attachments or alternately i could move up to version 2009

Good Afternoon

sorry about the delay in replying the kb answer no. I followed was 14168

i understand that this has now ben tested by yourselves

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

See also my recent difficulties with the same subject in this thread.

It sees that the only way to clear down the unwanted (and unattached) history attachments is to...

- create a new empty database

- export ALL your users to it

- turn each of them into users in the new database

- import all your contacts, groups, companies, histories etc

- throw your original database (including attachments) away

(I paraphrase - the detail is in KB ID #14010)

It's a horrendous, long-winded process but it did at least work for me.

Andy