Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How To Abandon Changes Made on A Remote Database

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

How To Abandon Changes Made on A Remote Database

Hi group,

I'm a new user to the ACT! platform. I had made some changes to my remote database by doing an Edit>Replace Field where there were a large number of blanks for the State code. When I ran it, it didn't just change the ones that I had highlighted, it did the entire remote database. I tried to "undo" the changes with no luck at all. I then reversed the move by editing them back to a blank field. I would like to abandon the remote database changes by downloading the current server version, but I can't find a way to do a uni-directional sync. Is this even possible? I hope I've given enough information to make sense and get a reply. Thank you!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author Symo
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: How To Abandon Changes Made on A Remote Database

Importantly, don't synchronise until:-

You backup the main database, do a test restore to see that it will actually restore. Then synch from the remote in question. Restore the original database, make a slight change to an unused field (edit/replace) to force all records to synch from the main to the remote from backup. Synch the remote. That ought to recover the situation prior to the edit/replace on the remote.

Or simply cut a new remote and abandon the existing database on the remote unless there are other changes made at the remote that you need to preserve. That may be the best choice if you have alarge datasbase or many remote users.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author Symo
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Importantly, don't synchronise until:-

You backup the main database, do a test restore to see that it will actually restore. Then synch from the remote in question. Restore the original database, make a slight change to an unused field (edit/replace) to force all records to synch from the main to the remote from backup. Synch the remote. That ought to recover the situation prior to the edit/replace on the remote.

Or simply cut a new remote and abandon the existing database on the remote unless there are other changes made at the remote that you need to preserve. That may be the best choice if you have alarge datasbase or many remote users.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Thanks so much, Graeme!! I followed your advice and was able to get a new database cut over, apparently they weren't able to redeploy the same database because it had already been deployed, and everything is now back to normal. Let that be a lesson to the other newbies in the crowd, before you perform a Replace Field, make sure your lookup only includes those contacts. Highlighting the ones you want doesn't work! Thanks again Graeme.