Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How I get ACT to work with SQL Server?

How I get ACT to work with SQL Server?

Hi folks,

I am running the following ACT for web verison:

ACT! by Sage Premium 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367

I installed ACT via the demo CD, the SQL server option was grayed out.

I have created a database but it creates a .pad file.  I would like to use SQL Server Express.  I have installed SQL Express on my server.  How do I go about configuring ACT to work with SQL Server instead of using the .pad files?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: How I get ACT to work with SQL Server?

I don't understand the question

The PAD file is simply a Pointer to the ACT! Database. It just contains the location (server and path) of the database.

ACT! uses SQL Server Express, unless you purchased the ST version, then it would install SQL Server Standard.

Thanks for clearing that up.

We are using the 'EX' version which means we're on SQL Express.  If I already owned SQL Standard how would I go about using that with the 'EX' version?  Can I use SQL Server Enterprise?

Finally, how do I get into the actual database via SQL Management Studio?  I am having login issues because I don't know the password for sa.

Thanks for your help.

If you alredy have SQL ST, you can create your own ACT instance as per these ACT! Knowledge Base articles:

Understanding SQL Less CAL

How to Manually Create the Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2005 (Standard Edition) ACT7 Instance

The SA pass is available as an optionforCorporate users on the Premium version, but this is not usually necessary and CANNOT be used to write to the database. What are you looking to do?

anytime we have a sql server we would like access to it.  mostly to just be able to write ad-hoc reports if our users requested something that ACT can not do.

just found this regarding the OLE DB, works like a charm!  thanks!  (had trouble with an unknown ACTREADER password)