Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How Create a Mail Merge in Word from ACT Lookup

How Create a Mail Merge in Word from ACT Lookup

Hi,

I posted this on the Sage ACT forum, but realize there is a different one for Sage ACT Premium.  I have have Sage Premium Version 11.

I really dislike the ACT word processor and would like to use MS Word to make some labels.  If I have a particular lookup in ACT, how can I transfer those contacts into a file that I can use with MS Word's mail merge for labels?

Thanks.

Silver Contributor

Re: How Create a Mail Merge in Word from ACT Lookup

Use the export to excel function from within the contact list.  Word can read the excel file as a source for the mail merge

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Jon,

I have a database containing just the contacts I want to use in the merge.  I tried going to Tools->Export to Excel, but "Export to Excel" is greyed out.

What am I doing wrong?  Thanks.

Ok.  I have Sage Act Premium 2009, but Excel 2010.  I understand that ACT 2009 doesn't integrate with Excel 2010.  Is there any way of still exporting the list to Excel?  If not, are there any other formats that will work?  I tried the Export Wizard, but it will only let me export to another existing file?  Am I missing something?

Platinum Elite Contributor

First the label in the ACT! program are printed through the ACT! reports and there are several pre configured labels there, have you checked those out? Bscause you can't use Excel or Word 2010 with ACT! 2009 you will need to expert the data you want to a tab delimited file and then inport that into Excel. Another option is to upgrade to ACT! 2013 so you can connect directly to Office 2010.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Yes.  For some reason, I couldn't initially Export to a tab delimited file (option didn't come up), but now it does, so problem solved.

WIth all respect to Sage, the reports/templates are terrible, especially if you are doing documents with fields.  I still can't find a way to have "city" and "state" automatically one space apart.  Having the field manually spaced apart looks terrible.  Would much rather manipulate it in Word.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The report editor isn't anything like a word processing program, it's actually more like a programming language. For things like concatinating the city state and zip you need to use a program pcript to do that.

There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Full disclusure I wrote the reports chapters of the book.  The report chapters work for all version of the ACT! program since ACT! 2007.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129