Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Hot fix 2 and WERFAULT.EXE

Bronze Contributor

Hot fix 2 and WERFAULT.EXE

Okay, went to apply Hot Fix to over Service Pack 1 for Sage ACT! 2011 Premium on the 1st of my 5 computers and all hell broke loose.  Task Manager showed 2,700 Tasks, 2,600 of which were WERFAULT.EXE.  Windows began bringing up individual dismiss windows to close out each wefault.exe - all 2,700 of them.  Forced a power down, tried again, same results, and ACT! isn't upgraded.

Signature
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Hot fix 2 and WERFAULT.EXE

Bronze Contributor

Pretty sure I checked there and found no trace of an error - as if the Windows Error Reporting component failed to early to log an event.

Signature
Bronze Contributor

Turns out the WERFAULT.EXE tasks were the result of a not entirely successful Windows 7 Service Pack 1 installation.  I figured out it wasn't ACT! when I observed the same behavior trying to install the logmein component into Internet Explorer 9 RC and wound up with over 9,000 WERFAULT.EXE in Task Manager.  Had to force a power-down, rebooted, ran Control Panel, Troubleshooting, System and Security, Fix Problem with Windows Update and that appears to have resolved the problem.

Signature
Platinum Super Contributor

Thanks for the update and steps used to resolve!
Greg Martin
Sage
Bronze Contributor

Greg, turns out the repair didn't help - I've now had to uninstall Service Pack 1 and will watch it today.  But I'm convinced it's a Microsoft issue.

Signature